Recipe for Pumpkin - Roasted Pumpkin Soup
Roasted Pumpkin Soup - Tasty or Not?
A Little Bit of History of the ‘Humble’ Pumpkin Soup
The pumpkin soup we eat today has its origins in Haiti.
In the late 1700s-early 1800s Haiti had been ruled under French Colonials and Haitians were only permitted a bland bread soup. A rich soup of pumpkin, beef stock and vegetables was not on the menu in Haiti for the native population.
However, 1 January 1804 saw Haitians celebrating their independence by creating this then unique soup.
The Colonists believed that the Haitians were unable to collaborate on anything, so the Pumpkin Soup was created to celebrate their freedom and was a ‘symbol of unity in the face of adversity.’
Today, variations of the Pumpkin Soup are enjoyed all around the world. It is also still served among family and friends in Haiti in remembrance of their freedom bid, and success.
- half medium pumpkin
- 2 medium onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 600mls water, (or 600mls chicken stock and 2 cubes chicken stock)
- 4 cubes chicken stock
- 220gm tin whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, (to taste)
- half cup finely chopped celery, (optional)
Method for Cooking your Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Cut pumpkin into 8 even sized pieces. Rub with 1tbsp oil and bake at 200deg for approx. 30 minutes till semi-cooked. Cool and place to one side.
- In a large saucepan placed the finely chopped onions with remaining oil and sauté till clear. Add 4 cloves of crushed garlic and sauté till soft.
- Add spices (curry powder, cumin and coriander) and stir.
- Add roasted pumpkin, and stir to mix.
- Add can of whole peeled tomatoes.
- Add 4 stock cubes and 600mls of water (or stock and 2 stock cubes) and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 40 minutes taking care that the soup does not catch on the bottom of the pot.
- Place soup in blender (or use stick blender) and blend to smooth consistency.
- Return to low heat and cook for a further ten minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in cup of sour cream. (Do not boil soup after adding as soup will separate) Add optional celery and serve. (Or serve and sprinkle finely chopped celery on top)
- Serving suggestion: Very tasty and filling eaten with fresh hot buttered bread or bread rolls, especially on a cold winter's night. Bon appetit!
Some More Recipes for Amazing Soups
More by this Author
- 7How To Stop A Divorce From Happening To You - 5 Vital Ingredients To Bullet-Proof Your Happy Marriage
Learn how to bullet-proof your marriage with 5 key ingredients and stop your marriage heading towards the divorce courts.
Learn how to lighten your skin with natural skin bleaching using ingredients found in your pantry and fridge.Of course, the basis for all good skin care is what you eat.
Puppy training for Jack Russell puppies is the first thing we 'boned' up on when we brought our little Jack Russell named Jasper home. I share 6 Quick Tips to start training your puppy...