Bear N Mom Recipes - Cookies - Krusciki or Beer Bow Ties
This traditional Polish cookie can be made by different methods according to the different family recipes. The Italian style of these cookies are also called Angel Wings. and are crispy in texture and very light.
I have also had these made like cake doughnuts sprinkled with powdered sugar. This recipe is made in the second way and by no means makes it better than the Italian cookie. Both are delicious and both are traditional cookies.
This particular recipe was a favorite of my Italian mother-in-law. She lived in Sharpsburg a small town outside Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. In Sharpsburg, there were four ethnic groups which lived in areas of the borough: Italian, Polish, German and Irish. The borough also had a Baptist ministry. All of these groups had women who belonged to the local Aerie of Eagles. One of their projects was to publish an Eagles Cookbook. This recipe was one that was in it that my mother-in-law had circled and made notations on it. That meant she made it often.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 sticks margarine, soften to room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 (6 oz.) bottle beer, room temperature
- Mix margarine, sugar and egg. Add flour alternately with beer until dough forms.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- On a cutting board, roll dough into 1/8" thickness. Cut into 1" x 3" strips with pastry wheel.
- Make slit in dough and pull one end through.
- Fry in hot deep fat at 350° for 2 minutes or until light brown.
- Remove from cooking oil with a slotted spoon so that you don't puncture the cookie.
- Drain on heavy paper. When cold sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I have found that brown paper is best for draining and can be purchased at any 5&10. OR you can cut up supermarket bags and use those for draining these cookies. You can use paper towels but this becomes expensive if you make a large batch of these cookies
More by this Author
Swedish Bread Cookies are jam- filled shortbread that is made in a log and then cut into smaller pieces.
Better than butter cookies, these cookies made with ricotta cheese.
Devotion to St. Therese also known as the Little Flower.