Bear N Mom Recipes - Sicilian Eggplant
After Eggplant Parmesan was made in the form of lasagna and when there was still an abundance of eggplant and peppers from the garden, this recipe would be the next one made for supper and for eating at a later date.
This dish is meant to be served at room temperature.
- 1 large Eggplant, peeled and cut in 1/2" slices
- 4 Green or Red Pepper, cut in slices
- Olive Oil, for frying
- Garlic Powder
- Grated Parmesan or Romano Cheese
- Italian Tomato Sauce
- Sprinkle eggplant slices with salt and let stand 30 minutes to absorb moisture.
- Heat oil and cook pepper slices until soft. Add salt and garlic powder and set aside.
- Dry eggplant slices on paper towels and brown in oil, adding oil as needed.
- Place fried eggplant in a casserole with grated cheese and a dab of sauce in the middle of each slice. Top with fried peppers.
- Repeat until all eggplant and peppers are used.
This dish can be served with mozzarella sprinkled over the casserole and baked in the oven until the cheese melts.
In today's world there is no such thing as waiting for a bumper crop or going to the Farmer's Market to hold you up from making this delightful dinner.
Most supermarkets now have extended produce departments that afford the luxury of an abundance of Eggplant and Peppers. It's not necessary to wait for summer to make this recipe.
More by this Author
Making a special french toast breakfast out of raisin bread
How to put up ears of corn for winter use.
Devotion to St. Therese also known as the Little Flower.
No comments yet.