Bear N Mom Recipes - Cookies - Sour Cream Date Drops
When I was a child, my mother had a pantry off the kitchen. This room tended to stay colder than the rest of the house because it had a double window that was not insulated. This is where she kept her baking supplies for cookies and where she stored her cookies for the holidays.
I wont say I was a bad child, but I was mischievous. I waited all year for the holiday baking season to come around because that was when my Mom had the most goodies hidden in the pantry. I loved dates and would raid her supply every year. What difference would one or two dates make to a recipe.
- 1/2 cup shortening, I used margarine
- 1-1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-2/3 cups pitted dates, cut up
- 2-2/3 cups chopped walnuts, optional
- Thoroughly cream shortening, sugar and vanilla.
- Add egg and beat well.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and sour cream to creamed mixture.
- Stir in dates and nuts.
- drop by teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. (I line mine with parchment paper.)
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes. I have insulated cookie sheets so mine take 12 minutes for each batch.
Tips and Comments on Recipe
This rich cookie lends a different taste to your cookie tray. Dates are a natural sweetener as well as a natural agent to keep cookies soft when one is placed in the sealed container.
More by this Author
Better than butter cookies, these cookies made with ricotta cheese.
Polish cookies made by deep frying and sprinkling with powdered sugar
Royal Icing Recipe to decorate cookies and how to use the royal icing.
No comments yet.