Bear N Mom Recipes - Cookies - Swedish Bread
This recipe has been made for over 50 years in my extended next door family I tried it several times when my children were growing up and was never sure if I was doing it right because the original recipe I got was very vague on instructions.
I found a similar recipe in my Nunny's treasure trove of recipes and I recognized it immediately and only then did I know I was making them correctly.
These cookies are a shortbread kind of dough with jam or jelly down the middle. Because there is no limit of what jelly you can use you can make several kinds. I prefer to use the new just fruit brands that you can get from the supermarkets which are all fruit. I've made strawberry and apricot mostly.
- 2 cups Flour
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Double Acting Baking Powder
- 2/3 cup Soft Margarine
- 2 Eggs, unbeaten
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla, Can use Almond
- Mix all of the above ingredients into a soft dough. Divide into 3 logs. Make a groove down the middle of each log with the back of an iced tea spoon. Spoon jams into the 3 grooves.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Cookies will flatten out and look like you did something wrong while baking.
- Once the logs have cooled, slice each log into 1" strips. These are kind of like Kuchen but with shortbread instead of a formed cookies.
More by this Author
A very basic cookie. Tastey with or without icing.
Better than butter cookies, these cookies made with ricotta cheese.
Devotion to St. Therese also known as the Little Flower.
No comments yet.