Fish And Side Recipes-Fried, Grilled And Baked
I am ready for a fish fry! There is nothing better to me than a plate of fried catfish. I know it is not the healthiest food, but I was raise eating it, so it kinda get in your blood or taste buds!
Some sides are, fries, potato salad, baked beans, pinto beans, coleslaw, just to name a few.
Of course you need dessert, I choose a big peach cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Get to frying and enjoy you some fried fish!
Crispy Golden Fried Catfish
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- peanut oil, for frying
- In a shallow glass dish, soak the catfish fillets in the buttermilk and garlic; refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Combine cornmeal, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne in shallow dish.
- Pour enough oil in a cast-iron skillet to cover fish halfway; heat the oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drain catfish and dip in cornmeal mixture, coating both sides.
- Place a few piece at a time in skillet , frying them in batches; Fry about 5minutes, turning once, depends on thickness of fillet.
- Adjust heat if needed, should be flaky inside and golden brown crust. Do not over cook.
- Serve with tartar sauce, lemon, ketchup or whatever.
Succulent Grilled Tilapia Fish
- Grilled Tilapia is something we try to have once a week at our house. I grill in my stove top grill pan or on my George Foreman grill.
- I like to season my fish with, salt, garlic powder, black pepper and sometimes use thyme.
- When I use the stove top grill pan, I heat it to medium-high heat, spray with non-stick baking spray.
- Grill 2 to 2 ½ minutes on each side. Before turning spray with non-stick spray. The fish is done when you can easily flake with a fork.
- When using the George Foreman Grill or whatever kind you have, preheat the grill has directed. I spray with non-stick cooking spray before heating.
- Brush the Tilapia with olive oil, then season.
- If you have a setting on your grill use the medium-high.
- When the grill is ready, cook for five minutes, do not peep!
- It will flake easy with a fork.
- Tilapia fish cooked this way is so moist and delicious, I like to serve rice, a tossed salad and one vegetable, brussels sprouts, green beans, stir fry cabbage or broccoli.
Square Non-Stick Skillet-My Favorite
I receive this skillet as a gift and love it! I use mygrill skillet when it is too hot or cold to use my outside grill! I choose the non-stick square skillet they are easier to clean and I can get more food in it!
Blackened Cajun Catfish
You must try this delicious recipe for Blackened Cajun Catfish. It is spicy dish that goes well with potato salad, pinto beans, fresh tomatoes or squash; or for a lighter meal, rice and a garden salad.
For best results use a hot iron skillet for cooking. Hope you enjoy this long treasured recipe.
- 4-6 ounce catfish fillets
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons Cajun quick blackened fish seasoning
- Brush both side of catfish fillets with melted butter; then coat both sides with Cajun quick blackened fish seasoning.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until smoking, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add 2 fillets and cook until opaque at center, about 2 minutes per side.
- Cook remaining 2 fillets.
- Some sides to serve with Blackened Cajun Catfish are potato salad, pinto beans, fresh tomatoes or squash, rice or garden salad.
- Cajun seasoning is very spicy, if you do not like spicy do not coat the fillets as thick with seasoning.
- Make sure you skillet is hot before adding catfish fillets.
- Do not leave iron skillet unattended while heating or cooking the catfish.
Welcome! Please Rate My Fish Theme Meal Recipes!
Homemade Tartar Sauce Recipe!
Panko Crusted Baked Catfish
I love fried catfish, that being said, hubby and I are trying to stay away from so many fried foods. He bought a package of catfish nuggets at the store so this is the recipe I came up with for baking the catfish instead of frying.
Hubby love it, I thought is was good! I do like my fried catfish! You could use any of your favorite fish! We served with it a baked potato and steamed whole okra.
- I dump the catfish nuggets in a bowl and pour some 1% milk over them to soak for about 15 minutes or so. I also added salt, black pepper and garlic power to the bowl.
- I had a garlic herb package of Panko so I dumped a good amount in a flat dish.
- Dredge each piece of catfish nugget in the Panko crumbs, coating both sides.
- I used a glass Pyrex dish that I sprayed with non-sticking cooking spray.
- Place each nugget in dish, making sure they are not touching.
- Spray top of each nugget with the non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake at 450 degree Fahrenheit for 15 to 20 minutes or until flakes with a fork.
- I turned the fish once. I like the panko because it gave it the crunch I needed.
- I have some more to cook tonight and I am going to try cornmeal on them, to see which one we like best.
Are you looking for something different to serve for a meal at your house? You must try this recipe for Fish Tacos.
They are quick and easy to make with any white fish fillet, sour cream, cilantro, taco seasoning, limes, Napa cabbage, tomatoes and corn or flour tortillas. You will be having requests often for this delicious Fish Taco meal!
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 package taco seasoning mix, divided
- 1 pound white fish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 package of 12 taco shells warmed, corn tortillas lightly fried or flour tortillas
- 4 cups Napa cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- lime wedges, for serving
- taco sauce, for serving
- In a small bowl mix; mayonnaise, cilantro, sour cream and 2 tablespoons taco seasoning. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl combine, fish fillets, vegetable oil, lemon juice and remaining taco seasoning mix.
- Pour fish mixture into a large skillet.
- Cook fillets over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
- Put fish mixture in taco shells; top with cabbage, tomatoes and sour cream mixture, lime juice and taco sauce.
This fish taco recipe makes six servings
- May use any firm fish such as, tilapia, catfish, mahi mahi, halibut and any white fish.
- Pico de Gallo is great to use instead of taco sauce.
- Do not over cook the fish or it will be dry.
Homemade Crisp French Fried Potatoes
This recipe is for the double-frying method, that is what makes these homemade fries crispy. When you fry them one time they usually are kinda limp and not crispy.
This is the way I make curly fries for my grandkids. They love them and want me to make them often.
Try the double-frying method, you will never go back to the single frying.
- Idaho potatoes, as many as desired
- Oil, I use Canola, enough to fill deep fryer one third full
- Peel as many potatoes as needed.
- Cut lengthwise into 3/8-inch thick slices. Then cut slices into strips 3/8-inch wide.
- Rinse in cold water; drain well on paper towels.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 360 degrees Fahrenheit, filling at least 1/3 full with oil.
- Cover bottom of fryer basket with a single layer of potatoes, lower basket slowly into oil.
- Fry potatoes 4 minutes, or until potatoes are tender but not browned.
- Remove French fries; drain on paper towels.
- Keep at room temperature until ready to complete cooking. Reserve oil.
- Before serving, reheat oil to 375 degree Fahrenheit in deep fryer.
- Cover bottom of fryer basket with 2 layers of potatoes; fry 1 minute or until potatoes are golden.
- Remove potatoes; drain well on paper towels.
- Sprinkle French fried potatoes with salt. Keep warm while frying the rest of potatoes.
- Use caution when lowering basket of fries into hot oil.
Quick And Easy Baked Beans
Baked Beans is quick and easy to put together. It is a great side dish for barbecue, fried chicken, pork chops or just about any meat.
You can double or triple this recipe if you are feeding a larger crowd. It is great with onions too, see note below.
- 2 cans pork and beans
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Mix the pork and beans, mustard, ketchup and brown sugar.
- Place in a casserole dish and bake at 300 degree Fahrenheit for 30-45 minutes or until there is a light crust on top.
- If you like onions, they are also very good in this baked bean recipe. Add ¼ cup chopped onion that has been saute in a tablespoon of oil.
Mexican Cornbread is delicious served with pinto beans and this is the recipe for the cornbread I enjoy serving with them.
It is loaded with cream corn, onions, cheddar cheese and jalapeño peppers. What a yummy combination.
- 1- can yellow cream style corn (2 cups)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup bacon drippings or oil
- 1 cup onions, chopped ( I like red onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-5 jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- Mix in large bowl, cornmeal, baking soda and salt.
- Add corn, bacon drippings, onions, garlic, jalapeños, milk and eggs.
- Pour ½ of mixture into iron skillet or 9-inch x 13-inch pan.
- Sprinkle half of cheese over mixture.
- Add remaining mixture and then cheese.
- Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Scrumptious Addicting Crispy Onion Rings
I adore onion rings, I will take them just about any way I can get them. This is an easy Crispy Onion Ring recipe.
Most of the ingredients you should have on hand. Bet you cannot just eat one! You probably will need to double this recipe! Enjoy!
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- oil for frying
Now we are ready to fry us some good onion-rings:
- Whisk in a flat dish; flour, water, egg, seasoned salt and baking powder.
- Peel onion and slice very thinly; separate into rings.
- In a deep fryer or heavy pot heat 1-inch oil to 375 degree Fahrenheit.
- Dip rings into batter; place into hot oil in batches for 1 ½ minutes, turning and another 1 ½ minute. They should be golden brown.
- Drain onion-rings on paper towels.
- Serve right away, with Ranch Dressing, ketchup or whatever you like.
Make 12 servings. (If you eat like a bird)
Quick, Easy And Yummy Cake Mix Cobbler
If you need a quick dessert try this Cake Mix Cobbler, you can add any fruit you like, such as peach, apple, blackberry or blueberry. This cobbler is made easy using a cake mix.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (just the dry mix)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups fresh fruit of your choice or 30 ounces canned fruit
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Combine dry cake mix, butter and 1 egg in a large mixing bowl; mix until crumbly.
- Safe ½ cup of crumble for topping.
- Spray with non-stick baking spray a 9-inch x 13-inch glass dish.
- Press the remaining crumble into dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, eggs, sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Layer fruit on top of baked crust.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on top of fruit.
- Top with the crumbs you saved.
- Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- Cool, serve with vanilla ice cream.
Family Theme Night or Not!
Do You Have Theme Night Meals for Your Family?See results without voting
Cowboy cookies are chocked full with oatmeal, coconut, chocolate chips and nut. You will be back for more, after you have a taste of these homemade cookies. The kids will love them!
- 1 cup shortening or ½ cup shortening and ½ cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 6 ounce package chocolate chips (I like milk chocolate)
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Cream sugars, and shortening; add the eggs and vanilla extract, beat until fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder together; mix with creamed mixture until blended.
- Stir in oats, chocolate chips and nuts.
- Drop by teaspoonful on to a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 12 minutes.
Check Out These Other Delicious Recipes!
- Southern Cooking Comfort Food Recipes
Need some Southern Comfort Food? These are just a few of my favorites! Hummingbird Cake, meat loaf, sweet potatoes fries, homemade lemonade and chicken fried venison just to name a few!
- Amazing, Fruity and Creamy Sweet Salad Recipes
Fruits salads may be an appetizer, a side dish or a dessert! All of the recipes are keepers for your recipe box!
- Savory and Sweet Hot Roll Recipes!
This collection of roll recipes are some of my favorites. Some are made with yeast, oatmeal, refrigerator biscuits or crescent roll. Let's make a batch!
- Recipes for Mexican Theme Night Meals
Meals are getting a little boring at your house, try planning a Mexican Theme Night Meal. I have some great Mexican recipes for you to plan a meal.
- Lovers of Chocolate Recipes Galore
Lovers of chocolate, I have recipes galore to satisfy your chocolate sweet tooth! Cookies, cakes, pies, and chocolate coated bacon! Yes I said bacon!
© 2016 Margie Lynn
More by this Author
Looking for a delicious Mexican chicken recipe! This one has been around a long time, it was a favorite for special gatherings, potlucks and just for the family, add a garden salad! Olé!
Great recipes for all you deer hunters! I have made all these venison recipes many times. Jerky, salami, chili and stew. You can really use any type of meat such as beef, pork, turkey, and more.s
- 1Mrs. Field's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Recipe, AKA $250 Cookies: The Best Cookie You Will Ever Eat
Mrs. Field’s, a.k.a. $250 Cookies, are loaded with chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, pecans and oat flour you make in the blender. A recipe you will make many times, scrumptious, make lovely gifts!
Leave Any Comments About Recipes for Family Fish Theme Night Meals!
No comments yet.