Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Red Beans and Rice
Red Beans and Rice is something my family has grown to love. This from a wife and daughter who often say, "I hate beans", but they ask for this when the weather turns cold. It is very filling. If you make it with fat free sausage, it works pretty well as a diet food. I ate this for a week straight and dropped 10 lbs so I could fit into pants for a wedding.
While we eat this a lot in the winter, we occasionally have it in the summer too. We tend to make a big pot of it, and then heat it up a few times. Just like chili and other soups, the flavor tends to get better with time.
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage or Polish Sausage Link
- 1/2 Cup Chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 4 cans light red kidney beans
- 4 bean cans water
- 4 cups prepared rice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tabasco or Creole Seasoning(Tony Chachere's), to taste
- Cut the sausage in bite size pieces. Place in a dutch oven or large pan over medium heat. If the sausage is fat free, you might want to add a tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and garlic. Cook till the sausage is browned. Add 4 cans kidney beans and 4 cans of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir well. Cover and cook 30 to 45 minutes. Cook your rice to package directions while the beans cook.
More by this Author
I am back with even more Crockpot Recipes. I hope everyone enjoys them 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks One 3-pound boneless center-cut pork loin roast, rolled and tied 1 can (16...
Biscuits and Gravy make an inexpensive and delicious stick to your ribs breakfast or dinner. They can be the main dish or a side dish, and at our house kids and adults both love them. My method is slightly different...
Enjoy restaurant-quality steak at home using a cast-iron skillet.