Red Chilli Tomato Pesto
Pesto draws me in again and again, I think its the variety of types and how you can use it. Traditionally its an Italian sauce consisting of Basil, Pine Nuts and Garlic blended with Olive Oil and used for pasta, it has now morphed into Red Pesto, Rocket Pesto, Pepper Pesto! Basically anything that you fancy with nuts and cheese and blitzed together. Theres also a sweet pesto - that one is on my to do list!
You dont just have to use it for pasta, its great in sandwiches, pop it on potatoes, use it as a meat marinade, anything that needs a good strong sauce!
This Pesto, is a Tomato Pesto spiced up with lots of Chilli. It includes those traditional ingredients of pine nuts and parmesan, but with lots of tomatoes and red and yellow peppers and a good dose of chilli.
The great thing about pesto is that you can make is as you like to, taste as you blitz it, add more garlic or cheese, or tomatoes, I love the total control you can have with this. So pull out your pestle and mortar or your food processor and get blitzing!
- 20g Parmesan
- 20g Pine Nuts
- 2 Tomatoes
- 3 Red and Yellow Peppers
- 1 large Chilli
- 3 cloves Garlic
- Dashs Olive Oil, to loosen
- 4 pieces Sun dried tomatoes
- Handful Parsley
- Heat oven to 190c Put tomatoes and peppers in dish and roast for 30 minutes.
- Once roasted then either by pestle and mortar or food processor add and blitz one by one and tasting in between - sundried tomatoes, garlic, pine nuts, cheese, tomato and pepper mixture, parsley.
- Once all added, add more or less of the ingredients and season. Store in the fridge - it should last for a couple of days and add to pasta, potatoes,sandwiches as a meat marinade the list is endless. Enjoy!