Remedy For the Sore Throat – Dry Ginger Coffee
This is a common preparation amongst people in South India. This is a safer bet since its being brewed off natural ingredients in comparison to popping in tablets, for a common ailment as a sore throat or cold.
The brew is often or rather consumed hot for best results. Be warned of the hotness of the drink as the preparation includes pepper. No doubt, the preparation capitalizes on the medicinal properties of the ingredients.
The ingredients that go into the brew are:
Dry Ginger (Zingiber officinale) – a piece, preferably an inch or so
Black Peppercorns* (Piper nigrum) – 5 to 8 nos.
Coffee Powder – 1 tea spoon
Jaggery** – as to taste
Coriander seeds (Coriandrum sativum) – ¾ tea spoon
Water – 2 cups
Holy Basil (Tulasi in Sanskrit, Ocimum tenuiflorum) – 3 to 4 leaves
* More the nos. so is the hotness of the brew.
** Preferably the one made from the palm sap, the flavor is more apt for the brew than the jaggery prepared from sugarcane juice. The purpose is sweetness; it is again a matter of individual preferences. Sugar too could suffice.
- Have the dry ginger crushed. Likewise, the peppercorns and coriander seeds could be crushed as well.
- Boil the water along with the jaggery and the crushed ginger, peppercorns and coriander seeds.
- Add the coffee powder to the brew once the jaggery has melted, and the aroma of the ingredients is in the air.
- Once it has sufficiently boiled the basil leaves could be added and the flame cut off.
- Strain the concoction and serve piping hot.
More by this Author
Women have matured with age, indeed! It is seen that in comparison to their counterparts in the late 40s women have changed a whole lot, of course, for the better. Changing conditions have favored noticeable changes...
The reasons why we eat and why we breathe have been scientifically understood. The processes involved and the need for it has been understood. On a comparative note, the reason why we sleep has not been thoroughly...