Restaurant Review: Surf Bagel & Deli, Lewes DE
Assortment of Bagels
Delaware's Most Popular Beach Bagel & Deli Restaurant
The Surf Bagel & Deli in Lewes, Delaware, is a favorite of locals and tourists. It's a family business run by Dave and Tom Vitella, two brothers who have combined their love of surfing and bagels and created a unique eatery serving an assortment of fresh bagels, sandwiches and pastries.
In addition to the 19 flavors of bagels (see photo caption for a complete listing of them), you can choose a variety of toppings including: butter, peanut butter, grilled cheese and 10 different types of cream cheese from plain to more flavorful, raisin-apple-cinnamon.
Those who have a sweet tooth can order baked treats including: an assortment of muffins, pastries, scones, cinnamon buns, coffee cakes, cookies and a whole lot more!
Brightly colored murals line the walls giving it a casual, surf themed décor but you don't have to be a surfer to enjoy the delicious assault on your senses when you walk through the door. Baking is done throughout the morning, and the aroma of mouth watering hot bagels, cinnamon, and other heavenly scents waft through the air. That heavenly scent, combined with the colorful booths and tables, makes you feel like you're already at the ocean, even though the sea is a couple of miles away.
Surf Bagel Meets the Deli Lama
So Many Choices....
The whimsical mural above, illustrates the fact that the Surf Bagel also specializes in a wide offering of deli items. There are many breakfast sandwiches available, including the popular and hearty breafast burrito which consists of your choice of meat, 2 eggs, cheese, fried red & green peppers, onions and salsa.
Lunch items include Longboards (subs served on a 10" roll), tubular wraps with Hawaiian, Mexican and classic sounding names, bagel sandwiches and killer cheese steak sandwiches.
Those wishing to eat salads can build their own salad and top it with grilled chicken or tuna.
Daily selections of homemade soups are served with homemade bagel crisps. I recently savored a hot bowl of Chix Corn Tortilla, a hearty soup, on a crisp fall day and enjoyed dunking the bagel crisps into it.
Kids also have some fun items, like Jellyfish (peanut butter and jelly), pizza bagel or a classic grilled cheese sandwich.
Adults and kids enjoy real fruit smoothies with names like Hawaiian Quest, Tibetan Blend, Mango Madness and The Skimmer.
Bright & Sunny Decor
10 Reasons to Love the Surf Bagel & Deli
- Mouth watering bagels. As my husband, Fred Sobotkin, who grew up in New York says, "They are the closest thing I've ever found to a Brooklyn, NY bagel, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside."
- Fast, friendly service. As you can imagine, the lines can be long during the busy summer months, but staff processes orders quickly and always with a smile.
- The bright murals with surf theme are fun, especially if you're a tourist just starting your vacation or returning for an annual vacation. This is the type of place that will become a family favorite and its highway location is an ideal first stop that gets you in vacation mode.
- The bagels freeze well. This makes them an economical treat to be savored at home or in your vacation rental when you purchase a half-dozen for $5.50, or a baker's dozen for $10.00.
- There is local delivery service for orders over $30.
- There is catering service to help make your party or event special.
- The coffee is fresh brewed, Gourmet Green Mountain Coffee, which assures excellent quality and taste.
- There is indoor and outdoor seating.
- There is a wide assortment of menu items.
- Beach music and surfing video shown on a large screen is fun to watch and listen to.
Rate it by Clicking on the Stars
Give Your Rating of the Surf Bagel
Whether you're looking for take-out that can be eaten at the beach, condo or home, or want to eat in the colorful, surf themed restaurant, you'll find a delicious assortment of breakfast and lunch items on the Surf Bagel & Deli menu.
The only draw backs about this restaurant are that during the summer season, the parking lot and on-site seating is crowded, but as previously stated, staff does an excellent job of keeping the line moving and at that time of year it's fun to bring take-out to your condo or drive directly to the beach with it.
I personally rated it 5 stars, but am interested in what your rating is so please cast your vote by clicking on the stars above.
For information about Surf Bagel & Deli hours of operation and menu items and prices click on their website at:
"All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs."
Fresh Bagel Poll
Do you love fresh baked bagels?See results without voting
Surf Bagel and Deli in Lewes, DE
More by this Author
Do you love slow cookers but hate the messy clean-up afterwards? If so, read this review about Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners to find out if they live up to the manufacturer's claims for fast, easy clean-up with no soaking...
Rehoboth Beach is part of the Culinary Coast, a stretch of Delaware beach towns that offer some of the best dining experiences in the Mid Atlantic Coastal Region. Come explore the Rehoboth Boardwalk restaurants.
Learn age appropriate tips for helping your child build sand castles and sculptures. Includes how to video and photos taken at the annual Rehoboth Beach Sand Castle Contest.