Rice Recipes and Fun Facts
A Little Bit of Rice Trivia
- September is National Rice Month
- Rice has been cultivated for over 5,000 years.
- Rice is grown on every continent in the world except Antarctica.
- There are more than 40,000 varieties of rice
- Rice is the first food a new bride in India offers to her husband and the first food offer to a new born baby.
- Rice is a symbol of life and fertility, which is why rice was traditionally thrown at weddings.
- Rice is the main dietary supplement to more than half the worlds population.
- In Thailand when you call your family to a meal you say "Eat rice".
- One seed of rice yields more than 3,000 grains.
- In Burma a person eats over 500 pounds of rice a year.
- To Japanese people it is rude to leave rice in your bowl, they feel it is important not to waste food.
- Louis Armstrong signed his autograph "Red Beans and Ricely Yours...".
- Rice is used in beer, dog food, baby food, breakfast cereals, snacks, frozen foods, sauces, and more.
- Rice and its by-products are used to make straw and rope, paper, wine, crackers, beer, cosmetics, packing materials, and toothpaste.
Long Grain White Rice Verses Brown Rice
thiamine (Vit. B1)
riboflavin (Vit. B2)
niacin (Vit. B3)
pantothenic acid (B5)
folate (Vit. B9)
Red Rice Southern Sytle
10 slices bacon
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cups uncooked rice
2 (16 oz) cans diced tomatoes
3 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp Tabasco sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Fry bacon until crisp, crumble and set aside.
Using bacon grease, saute onions and green peppers until tender.
Add rice, tomatoes, bacon and seasonings.
Cook on top of stove for 10 minutes.
Place into large greased casserole dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Belly Busting Rice Casserole
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 small can mushrooms
2 cups cooked rice
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 dash Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute onions in butter until onions become transparent, about 5 minutes.
Add mushroom soup and drain juice from can of mushrooms into pan. Mix well.
Place cooked rice into a greased casserole dish and pour mushroom soup mixture over it.
Stir well, top with mushrooms and shredded cheese.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until casserole is thoroughly heated.
nonstick cooking spray
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 cuts leftover chicken, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tap ground turmeric
1 3/4 cup instant rice, white or brown
1 (14 0z) can chicken broth
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup frozen peas
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Prepare a large frying pan and a casserole dish with non stick cooking spray.
Heat skillet and add onion and green pepper, cook until onion is tender. About 3 to 4 minutes.
Add chicken, garlic, paprika and turmeric. Cook, stirring until chicken begins to brown.
Stir in uncooked instant rice, chicken broth, water, salt and black pepper.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Remove from heat and add tomatoes and peas.
Place all ingredients into prepared casserole dish. Cover and place in oven
Bake for 20 minutes.
- Forbidden Rice Benefits
If I think about the word forbidden..I just think about fruit and city but now I learn about the other forbidden thing, the forbidden rice. Actually, this kind of rice is pretty easy to find in my country....
- Easy Thai fried rice. Surprising and delicious, the ...
Easy Thai fried rice recipe. Easy to follow directions for an authentic meal for one!
- All About Rice : Variety, List, Health Benefits, Sto...
All About Rice : Variety, Health Benefits, Storage and Where to Buy It. Rice is a cereal grain which is the staple food of more than half of the worlds population. Growing up in South East Asia. it is part of...
- 4 Easy Irish Rice Recipes
I am not someone who really enjoys cooking and I definitely dont do well in the kitchen when it comes to complicated recipes. Nevertheless, I think that its healthiest to eat at home using fresh foods so...
- Brown Rice Health Benefits
Brown Rice (oryza sativa or hulled rice) or in my language is called Beras Merah is not milled rice or half-milled rice. so it can be called whole grain. Brown rice has nutty taste and a little more chewy than...
More by this Author
Cabbage, the oldest vegetable known, is not only delicious but healthy. It can be eaten cooked, raw, steamed and more ways than you can imagine.
We all usually have leftovers after a holiday meal. Turkey is one of the most versatile meats around, it lends itself well to making delicious, healthy meals using leftovers combined with a few ingredients that we all...
Different styles look better on some than others. We all want to look good, that's a given. To look your best, you need to dress for your body type.