Rice Salad with Chimichurri Dressing
What is a chimichurri?
The warm weather of summer has coaxed my garden into a growth spurt of amazing proportions. Parsley and oregano have exploded from every nook and cranny. When given lemons, we make lemonaide. When given parsley, we make chimichurri.
No, it's not a new dance. Chimichurri is a popular Argentinian condiment--a green sauce used on grilled meats as commonly as we use catsup.
How did such a simple sauce gain such a strange name? There are many theories. One story claims that it comes from "Jimmy McMurry", an Irishman who invented the sauce. Others say it was "Jimmy Curry", an English meat importer, James C. Hurray, and even an English family who were heard to say "give me the curry" while dining with a Uruguain family.
All I know is that it is so easy to make.
Ingredients for Chimichurri Sauce
- 3 cups chopped flat-leaf parsley, firmly packed (leaves only, no stems)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- juice of 1/2 large lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of your food processor. Process until smooth.
- Cover and chill until ready to use. Can be kept in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Hamilton Beach Food Processor
OK, so now what do you do with chimichurri? My husband and I had it with grilled steaks. It would be equally fabulous with grilled chicken, fish, or even pork.
But there will be leftovers. We had leftovers. Now what?
Well, I've never been known to throw anything away. Not even a cup of day-old chimichurri. So today you are getting two recipes for the price of one!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 5 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 4 servings
- 4 cups cooked rice, (long-grain white or brown)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced tomato, (with seeds removed)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped
- about 1 cup chimichurri sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (optional)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, (optional)
- Combine rice, celery, tomato and cooked bacon in large mixing bowl.
- Add chimichurri sauce and toss gently.
- Sprinkle walnuts and fresh parsley on top just before serving.
- (Note: Can be served immediately, at room temperature, or cover and chill for up to one day to allow flavors to blend).
© 2011 Carb Diva
More by this Author
Summer--the weather is hot and you don't want to stand over a hot stove. Here are some main dish salad recipes that will please your family and keep you cool as a cucumber.
Describe your idea of perfect potato salad. Tangy with vinegar, bright with mustard, a contrast of creamy potatoes and crunchy vegetables, or perhaps something even more exotic? Let me show you how.
Sugar cookies--a traditional Christmas treat, but years ago they were not so sweet and not much of a treat. Learn how they have evolved over the centuries and how to bake and decorate them like a pro.
No comments yet.