Rice Special Recipes
Rice is one of our main healthy food staples. Here is how to make some of the most popular dishes. Rice remains a staple food for over half of the world’s people for good reason.
The Easy Way To Make Perfect Rice
This method which gives separate fluffy grains, works for any long-grain rice. So you can use it to cook either basmati or easy-cook rice.
Basmati means” the fragrant one” and accounts for almost half the rice consumed in Britain. Long-grain aromatic rice from India and Pakistan, it traditionally accompanies Indian curries and biriyani and pilaf dishes. When cooking this rice, be careful not to stir it too much or it can become sticky.
Method to Prepare Basmati Rice
- Tip the rice into a sieve and rinse well under running cold water to get rid of any powderiness, which is the starch that will make the rice sticky.
- Boil a large pan of water and tip in the rice. Quickly stir to make sure it doesn’t stick to the pan, but don’t stir it again. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes, Drain in a sieve.
- Boil a kettle of water, pour some into the base of the hot pan to a depth of 4-5cm and then pour the rest through the rice in the sieve.
- Sit the sieve in the top of the pan, and put the lid on or cover with foil simmer the water for 8-10 minutes, so the rice is steamed.
- It you’re not serving the rice straightaway, remove the pan from the heat, nut leave the serve in place. Lift the lid, or foil, and place a clean tea towel over the top and then replace the lid or foil, and the rice should stay hot for 10-15 minutes. This will absorb any condensation, which could drip back into the rice and make it soggy.
This type of rice is parboiled during preparation so the grains don’t stick together when cooked. Most of the early production was sold to the armed forces, as the method gives it a higher nutritional content, makes it resistant to weevil infestation, and troops could cook it quickly.
Crunchy Rice Salad
- Serve 4-6
- Suitable for freezing
- Calories: 326
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- 250g (8oz) easy-cook rice
- 100g (3 ½ oz) raisins
- 6tbsp olive oil
- 3tbsp white wine vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 250g (8oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Cook the rice using the “perfect Rice” method (see above), but as soon as it’s added to the boiling water, add the raisins, too. When the rice is cooked, rinse it under cold running water to cool it quickly.
- Tip the rice into a large bowl and stir in the oil, vinegar and seasoning. Mix well to coat.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Serve or keep for up to 1 day in the fridge.
Also known as “Thai fragrant rice’, this is aromatic long-grain rice similar to basmati but sticker. It usually comes from south-east Asia and is less starchy than other sticky rice. The cooking time can be reduced by soaking the rice in cold water for about 30 minutes.
The rice used for rice pudding is sticky. It’s labeled “ pudding rice” or “short-grain rice”. For a caramelized crust, it should be slow-cooked in the oven witout stirring. To make it as creamy as possible, don’t rinse the rice before cooking.
Clotted Cream Rice Pudding
- Serves 5-6
- Calories: 380
- Fat 28g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- 600ml (1pint) full-fat milk
- 227g carton clotted cream
- 50g (1 ¼ oz) short grain pudding rice
- 1 litre (1 ¼ pint) ovenproof dish, buttered
- Set the oven to 150⁰C or Gas Mark 2. Pour the milk into a pan and add the cream. Bring to the boil, stirring until the cream melts. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sugar. Tip the rice into the buttered dish and pour over the hot milk.
- Grate lots of nutmeg over the top. Place the dish on a baking tray in the oven and cook for about 2 hours, or until rice is tender. Serve hot or cold.
More by this Author
Jowar soups which makes your body cool in summer and fat free soup
Indian special recipes which will be prepared on festivals from different parts of India, like Karnataka, Lucknow, Goa, Hyderabad,.....
Belly fat is a key indicator of hormonal imbalance. Belly fat mostly occurs because as we age, the loss of muscles mass combined with hormonal changes can lead to increased fat storage around the abdomen.
No comments yet.