Rice Vermicelli with Auricularia Mushrooms in Spaghetti Sauce
I always love trying new things when I am cooking. One day when I was craving for some rice vermicelli I decided to add Auricularia mushrooms to them, and mixed all that with some delicious spaghetti sauce. The dish turned out pretty good. My mom loved it and perhaps you will too. Give it a try.
You can always substitute Auricularia mushrooms with other mushrooms of your choice if you find that you don't like the taste of these mushrooms. The choice is yours.
What are Auricularia Mushrooms?
Auricularia Mushrooms (or Auricularia auricula-judae) are edible mushrooms that can be found worldwide. They are brown in color and have a soft jelly-like texture. Sometimes they are referred to as jelly ears or Jew's ears, though other names have also been given to these mushrooms. They grow upon wood, especially on the elder tree.
Auricularia Mushrooms are popular and widely used in Chinese cuisine. The mushrooms are usually dried and then soaked in water before they are used in culinary dishes. You can use them in soups, salads, pasta, and other dishes.
Below is one of my recipes that uses Auricularia mushrooms... Give it a try. I hope you will like it.
- rice vermicelli
- a heaping handful dried auricularia mushrooms
- aji mirin (sweet cooking rice wine)
- spaghetti sauce (or pasta sauce)
- Prep time: 25 min
- Cook time: 35 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 2 or more people
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Place the rice vermicelli into the pot and add a heaping teaspoon of salt. Also, add a little bit of cooking oil. Boil the rice vermicelli for about 15 minutes. Drain the rice vermicelli and rinse in cold water and place in a large bowl.
- Place Auricularia mushrooms in a bowl of cold water and let sit for about 15 minutes. Then thoroughly wash under running water. Place in a pot of boiling water and cook for about 20 minutes. Then drain.
- Add Auricularia mushrooms to the rice vermicelli.
- Open a can of spaghetti sauce, add two teaspoons of aji mirin (sweet rice cooking seasoning), and dried basil and mix. Add a pinch of salt if needed. Pour over the vermicelli and the mushrooms. Stir and enjoy!
More by this Author
You don't have to go to a fancy Chinese restaurant to enjoy a delicious plate of lo mein noodles. This lo mein noodles recipe is quick and easy to prepare and costs less than an entree at a restaurant.
Rice vermicelli salad recipe is delicious and healthy. You will love the mix of flavors in this salad.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.