Roast Beef Christmas Dinner Recipe
By the time Christmas rolls around, most people have had enough turkey or ham to last a lifetime, or at least, until next Thanksgiving.
So, I try to serve something different for Christmas. I have prepared anything from Christmas brisket to cornish hens. But the recipe my family loves the most is for my Christmas Roast Beef.
The term roast beef can be a little misleading. Roast beef refers to, just that, beef that is roasted. The most common cuts of roast beef are rib, rib roast, and top loin.
I like to use Prime Rib with the bone for my Christmas roast beef dinner because it is one of the juiciest and most tender cuts of beef.
Rate this Recipe!
- 7 lb Prime Rib, Bone In
- 2 tbsp Horseradish, prepared
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tbsp Garlic, minced
- 4 small cloves Garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- Several Sprigs Rosemary, fresh
- Several Sprigs Parsley, fresh
- Several Sprigs Thyme, fresh
- If you are using frozen prime rib, make sure it is completely unthawed the night before. Remove unthawed prime rib from refrigerator about an hour before cooking to allow to come to room temperature. You can preheat your oven to 250 degrees at this time.
- I like to insert my little garlic cloves directly into the meat. So I use my meat thermometer as an awl and puncture four little holes in different parts of the meat. Then I push the peeled cloves into each hole.
- Using a butcher knife, carefully cut the meat an inch or so along the rib bones. Do not cut all the way through. You just want to make a nice slit to lay the fresh herbs.
- Take a few sprigs of the fresh rosemary, thyme, and parsley and lay them in the slit you just cut. Use cooking twine and wrap around the meat and the bones to secure the herbs in place.
- Make the rub: mix the horseradish, minced garlic, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Then generously rub over all sides of the meat.
- I like to pan sear my roast before cooking in the oven, but you do not have to do this step if you don't want to. Heat 2 tbsps of olive oil in a large skillet. Sear meat on all sides for about 1 minute on each side or until a nice sear has formed.
- Place seared meat in an over rack over a cookie sheet. Place into oven at 250 degrees. Cook for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 225.
- For medium rare meat, cook for about and hour more or until internal temperature of meat is 120 to 125 degress. For medium, cook for another 10 minutes or until internal temperature of meat is 130 - 135 degrees.
- Once cooked to your desired doneness, remove from oven and let sit for at 20-30 minutes. This helps it maintain the juiciness and flavor. If you cut into it right away, it will get tough.
- Slice and serve.
What to serve with Roast Beef
For my Christmas roast beef dinner, I like to serve the following sides with my prime rib:
- Grilled Asparagus
- Sweet Potato Medley
- Cinnamon Spiced Cranberry Sauce
- Sherry Mushroom Sauce
- Honey Wheat Rolls
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
Approximate Nutritional Value
|Serving size: 8 oz|
|Calories from Fat||306|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 34 g||52%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 23 g||46%|
|Cholesterol 84 mg||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to Prepare Prime Rib with the Bone
Other Recipes and Food Hubs
- Cuts of Beef: What are the Different Types of Beef
What are the different cuts of beef? What are the different types of these cuts? How do I cook Chuck Roast? Answers to these questions and more.
More by this Author
What is Sushi? What are the ingredients used in Sushi. Find out the different types of sushi and the ingredients used to make each type.
Can you make stuffing in a crockpot? How to make stuffing in a crockpot? Step by step instructions for Thanksgiving slow cooker stuffing.
What are the different cuts of beef? What are the different types of these cuts? How do I cook chuck roast? Answers to these questions and more.