Roasted Cauliflower and Black Eyed Pea Salad
Using Roasted Cauliflower
Cauliflower is easily overcooked turning it into a mushy and bitter tasting side dish. Try baking it instead. By slicing and baking it in the oven, cauliflower is browned and cooked tender-crisp.
This salad uses baked cauliflower and black-eyed peas for a quick and easy salad. For a different flavor, try a variation below.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white onion, minced
- 1 4-oz. jar chopped pimentoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- For the baked cauliflower: Take the head of cauliflower and break it up into chunks. Slice the cauliflower into 1/4 inch slices. Rub 1 tablespoon of oil on a baking sheet, lay out the cauliflower evenly, then drizzle the remaining tablespoon of oil over the top. Season with salt and pepper. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely before adding to the salad.
- For the Salad: Place the drained and rinsed black-eyed peas in a large mixing bowl. Add in the onions, pimentoes, and parsley.
- Whisk the oil, rice wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and pepper in a mixing bowl until combined, then pour this over the vegetables and peas.
- Toss together to blend well. Serve.
Here are some salad variations to try:
Southwest Cauliflower and Black Bean Salad:
Turn it Southwestern-style with a can of rinsed black beans instead of black-eyed peas and add some thawed frozen sweet corn. Add to the vinaigrette some cumin and chili powder to taste along with chopped cilantro.
Remove the pimentos and use cannellini beans for the black-eyed peas. Add in 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf Italian parsley, 1 tablespoon chopped basil, 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon, and 1 red bell pepper sliced thin. For dressing instead of using the seasoned rice wine vinegar, use white wine vinegar and add in 1/2 teaspoon salt to the vinaigrette.
Light entrée with wild rice for an easy dinner:
Prepare wild rice. Plate up and top with the cauliflower salad. Garnish with additional chopped parsley, and garden fresh chopped herbs.
For other delicious recipe ideas, try these hubs:
- Traditional Boston Baked Beans Recipe
This recipe for Boston Baked Beans isn't too sweet, and has molasses in it for flavor. It uses the overnight soaking method for beans, where you place water with beans and soak them overnight.
- Healthy Ways to Prepare Fish and Seafood with Great ...
There are many great ways to prepare fish in a low fat and healthy way. Methods to avoid are deep frying with a batter coating and pan frying. Here are some healthy methods to try.
- Black Beans: Healthy and Versatile Legume
Black beans are a small to medium-sized oval shaped bean with a shiny black skin and a light colored flesh. They are a bush-type bean plant, are best grown in well-amended soils and prefer warm weather.
More by this Author
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
You don't need a special embroidery machine to do machine embroidery. Machine embroidery can be done with a standard sewing machine. Here are the steps to complete the task.
No comments yet.