Easy Homemade Soup Recipes ~ Roasted Garlic and Pea Soup
Roasted Garlic and Pea Soup - Easy Homemade Soup Recipe
This is one of the easiest homemade simplest homemade soup recipes to make ~ and once the garlic is roasted it's also very quick ~ less than 20 mins from beginning to end.
If you've never used roasted garlic don't let the fact that it's garlic put you off. Roasted garlic is about as far from raw garlic as you can get. Whereas raw garlic is strong, harsh and very 'in your face', roasted garlic is sweet, soft and subtle.
Anyway ~ on with the recipe
There are 2 versions of this soup - the luxury version and the ultra healthy one, it's the same method just slightly different ingredients, both of which are listed below.
Roasted Garlic and Pea Soup Ingredients
- 1 Large White Onion
- 50g Butter, Can be left out to make soup healthier (but not quite as tasty)
- 1 litre Vegetable stock, Why not make your own as detailed in the 'Tip' section below
- 1 Large roasted garlic bulb
- 450g Frozen peas
- 150ml Double Cream, Can also be left out to make the recipe healthier - but definitely better left in
- To taste Salt and Pepper
Ways to Roast Garlic
Roasting the Garlic:
There are 2 ways to roast garlic.
1. Wrap a whole head (bulb) in foil and place in the oven for around 40mins - 1hr at approx 180C / 160C fan / 356F / Gas Mark 4 until the garlic is soft and can be squeezed out of the cloves by applying gentle pressure to one end.
2. Use a garlic roaster such as the one shown here
To make the Soup:
1. Roughly chop the onion and gently sweat it in the butter over a low heat until it is soft and translucent (Note: you are not trying to fry the onion just soften it) - for the healthy version replace the butter with a few tablespoons of the veg stock and let the onion soften in that.
2. Once the onion is soft add the frozen peas and stir to coat them in the onion / butter mix. for a minute.
3. Add the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for approx 8 mins.
4. Add the roasted garlic cloves allowing 1 - 2 per portion
5. Liquidise / puree the mixture until smooth using either a hand held blender or a liquidiser.
6. For the luxury version add the cream and stir in
7. For both versions add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve with fresh bread.
Tip - Quick and Easy Homemade Vegetable Stock
Keep a food safe plastic (or other) bag in the freezer and as you prepare meals put all your veg trimmings in it i.e. potato and carrot peelings, onion ends, broccoli stalks ~ anything and everything veggie really.
Once you have enough to half fill a saucepan cover it with water and simmer for approx 30 mins or until you have a richly coloured stock. Drain and keep the stock and chuck the veg peelings on your compost here or in the food recycling if you're lucky enough to have such a scheme.
- Cauliflower Soup - Easy Homemade Soup Recipe
Let's be clear - this soup is not a looker. It's not one that you're going to serve up and have people say 'wow that looks pretty'. What it is, is easy to make and absolutely delicious. It's great winter...
- Healthy Eating Poached Chicken Salad Recipe
I have a few rules when it comes to healthy eating. First, under no circumstances will I compromise on flavour. Second, I won't go near any 'low fat' products where the fat has been replaced by artificial...
- Chocolate Sponge Cake with Buttercream and Blueberri...
Chocolate sponge cake is one of lifes real pleasures and this simple recipe for chocolate with blueberries and butter-cream is a perfect tea-time treat.
- Lemon Curd Sponge Cake with Lemon Cheesecake Topping...
A good lemon sponge should be easy to make, be dripping with lemon flavour and be able to display both the sweetness of a sponge cake and the tartness of the lemon. Add to this a luxurious lemon cheesecake topping and this easy cake recipe becomes an
- Rhubarb Recipe - Easy Recipe for Rhubarb Muffins
Rhubarb muffins are easy to make and very morish, so use this easy rhubarb recipe to make a great teatime treat.
How was it for you?
More by this Author
Making flat top cupcakes is a skill, but luckily one that's easy to master. Baking cupcakes is fun, it's something that can be done quickly, something that kids can enjoy and with the endless range of cupcake flavours...
There are times you want a cake to rise in the middle and times you want to stop cakes rising in the middle. Flat topped cakes are much easier to decorate after all. Find out what makes your cake rise, and, more...
If your cake sinks in the middle when you take it out of the oven, it doesn't mean you can't bake. It just means you need to make a few adjustments. Follow these easy tips to prevent/rescue it.
No comments yet.