Cooking with a Pressure Cooker: Rouladen German Beef Recipe
Cooking Rouladen with the Power Pressure Cooker
Photos of Cooking German Rouladen Recipe with an Electric Power Pressure CookerClick thumbnail to view full-size
Ingredients for German Rouladen
- 6 thinly sliced beef top round steak
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup pickles, chopped
- 1 cup Raw bacon, chopped
- horseradish mustard
- salt & pepper
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pkg brown gravy mix
Prep and cooking instructions for German Beef Rouladen
- Lay beef top round steak flat on a cutting board.
- Spread Horseradish mustard evenly over meat.
- Sprinkle onions, pickles and bacon to meat Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll beef by taking the larger end and rolling toward the smaller cut of meat.
- Pin meat with a toothpick to hold it together. I also use metal poultry meat pins. (tip - Don't use metal meat pins if using Teflon cookware). You can also tie meat together with string or thread.
- Set the power pressure cooker to Chicken/Meat . Add oil to the electric power pressure cooker and brown meat on all sides, remove meat and reserve.
- Add beef bouillon cubes to power pressure cooker with 2 cups water, let the sauce simmer until the bouillon has dissolved. Add one package of powdered brown gravy mix stir until blended.
- Add browned beef rouladen to the electric power pressure cooker.
- Place the lid on the pressure cooker, lock the lid the lid and switch the pressure cooker valve to closed.
- Press the Soup/Stew button, and set the timer to 30 minutes.
- Once the timer reaches 0, the cooker will automatically switch to Keep/Warm. Release the pressure value to open. When the steam is completely released remove lid.
- Serve with pan fried potatoes or mashed potatoes and a salad. Serves 4 to six people.
- Note: If cooking Rouladen without an electric pressure cooker, and cooking on stove top -- simmer the Rouladen in a large covered skillet for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until meat is tender.
Pins used to hold meat together - Poultry Pins
German Cook Books
- Culinary Best Gifts ~ German Cooking Books ~ German Knives ~ German Chocolate
From German cookbooks to knives to chocolates, surely there is something that would please a gift recipient. Videos included in this hub.
German Rouladen cooking times much faster with the Electric Power Pressure Cooker
I remember my mother cooking this dish as we grew up. She would simmer the rouladen for hours to make sure the beef was tender. As an adult, I wanted to share this recipe with my family. Working a full time job left no time for the proper cooking times which would result in a tough and chewy meal. So, I experimented with the electric power pressure cooker and I have to say I am impressed. The meat was so tender, the cooker sealed in the flavors and it tasted just like Moms rouladen. Cooked in 30 minutes and don't tell mom but I think it tastes even better (smile).
Tip: You can buy metal poultry pins to hold the meat together while cooking, be careful when placing the rolled meat into the Teflon cooking pan of the pressure cooker as not to allow the pins to scratch the surface.
Recipe from my Mother Johanna (Oma) Blanchette.
Safety Tips when cooking with the Power Pressure Cooker
Here are a few safety tips to keep in mind when using the power pressure cooker.
While the Electric Power Pressure Cooker is safer than your Grandmother's stove top pressure cooker there are a few things to keep in mind.
Even though there are several safety features built in to your pressure cooker. I strongly recommend that you read your owners manual to The Electric Power Pressure Cooker XL and Rice cookers.
1). Do not let children near the pressure cooker during the cooking process.
2). When using the power pressure cooker place the cooker in a location in your kitchen that will allow the steam to vent away from people, appliances, cabinets, windows or any other item that can be damaged from releasing the steam.
3). NEVER fill the pressure cooker above the MAX fill line.
4). Keep hands away from vent value.
5). Unlike stove top pressure cookers the vent value will not rock and spray steam. The Electric power pressure cooker will hold all the steam inside the pot. If steam is in fact escaping during the cooking process the value is not in the proper position. Using an oven mitt - Carefully adjust vent value until steam is no longer spraying from the the lid.
6). The power pressure cooker has several built in safety features.
- LID SAFETY LOCK
- PRESSURE & TEMPERATURE SENSOR CONTROLS - To maintain even heat and pressure by automatically activating or deactivating the power supply.
- BACK-UP SAFETY RELEASE VALVE - If the temperature and pressure sensor malfunctions and the pressure builds beyond the maximum --the the back up will kick in and release the pressure.
- CLOG RESISTANT FEATURE - This prevents food from blocking the steam release port. Be sure so clean the port after each use.
- SPRING-LOADED SAFETY PRESSURE RELEASE - Should all safety features listed above fail, this “spring-loaded” device located beneath the heating element will automatically lower the INNER POT, causing it to separate automatically from the RUBBER GASKET This will enable the steam and pressure to automatically escape around the pot LID, avoiding a dangerous situation.
- TEMPERATURE CUT-OFF DEVICE - Should the unit malfunction and cause the internal temperature to rise beyond the “Safe” limit, this device will cut-off the power supply and will not automatically reset.
More by this Author
Prepare a nutritious Potato Soup in less than 3o minutes with a Power Pressure Cooker. Just chop potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, place in cooker for 15 minutes. Great recipe for German Potato Soup
- 0Beef Chili & Rice - Cooking with the Electric Pressure Cooker & Electric Rice Cooker - Meals in less than 30 minutes
Making Beef Chili & Rice with an Electric Pressure Cooker seals in the flavor and vitamins - Cooking Chili & Rice in half the time - Kitchen gadgets like the electric pressure cooker is a must have.
BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe, reviews for cooking with the power pressure cooker XL, meals in less than 30 minutes