Russian Salad Recipes - Oliv'ye Salad
Being originally from Belarus, which used to be part of the Soviet Union at one point, I grew up eating oliv'ye salad. Whenever we had get-togethers with friends and family a large plate of oliv'ye was always on the dinner table that was filled with an abundance of delicious food.
Now that I live in the United States this tradition still remains. Whether it's a birthday celebration, a holiday get-together or just a casual dinner with friends and family oliv'ye is always a part of our dinner table. It's delicious and colorful and brings back childhood memories for me. .
Oliv'ye is a popular Russian salad and it's enjoyed by many and not only those from Eastern Europe. You can now have this salad part of your party or casual dinner too. Below you will find my recipe for the Russian salad oliv'ye with step-by-step instructions and recipe photos. Enjoy and please share with others so they can enjoy it too.
- 1 Large Carrot
- 2 Medium Idaho Potatoes
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 1 Medium Granny Smith Apple
- 4 Small Sour Pickles
- 1/4 lb. Bologna (Not Sliced)
- 1 Can Sweet Peas
- 2 Jumbo Eggs (Hard Boiled)
- Fresh Dill
- Sea Salt
- 8 Tablespoons Hellmann's Mayo With Olive Oil
How to Make Russian Salad Oliv'ye
- Take two Idaho potatoes and one large carrot and wash well under running water. Place into a pot with water and boil until soft yet not falling apart - approximately 45 minutes after the pot starts to boil. When done cooking remove from the pot and peel off the skin with a small knife or with your fingers and discard. Then finely dice the potatoes and carrot and place into a large salad bowl.
- In a separate small pot boil two jumbo eggs so they are hard boiled. When the water starts to boil let the eggs cook for about ten minutes. When done cooking remove the eggs from the pot and let soak in cold water for a few minutes. Remove the shell and discard. Then finely dice each egg and add to the salad bowl with the potatoes and carrot. To save time cook the eggs at the same time you cook the potatoes and carrots. You can even cook them in the same pot but make sure not to forget about them and overcook them or they will taste like rubber.
- Take a medium white onion (or less if you are not a fan of a lot of onion), peel off the skin and finely dice. Do the same thing with the Granny Smith apple, washing it beforehand. You can try using other types of apples but I prefer Granny Smith for this salad. Place the diced onion and apple into the salad bowl with the other ingredients already in it.
- Take a quarter pound of bologna (not sliced) and four sour pickles and finely dice. Add to the salad bowl. Usually bologna has pork in it. If you don't eat pork you can substitute it with veal or chicken franks. Make sure to cook them first before adding to the salad.
- Open a can of sweet peas, and drain. Then wash some fresh dill and finely chop it. Add both to the salad bowl.
- Sprinkle sea salt on the salad and mix well. Then add eight tablespoons of Hellmann's mayo with olive oil and mix well again. You don't have to use the mayo with olive oil but I prefer this one to the original. Also any brand of mayo will do but to me Hellmann's brand is the best.
- When it's time to eat, serve the oliv'ye salad with some freshly baked bread, crackers or toast. You can garnish the salad with fresh basil leaves and even some roasted sesame seeds.
This recipe makes a large bowl of oliv'ye. How many people you can serve depends on the serving size per person and on people's appetites. You can easily serve at least 6-8 people.
If you are worried about leftovers, don't be. This salad is so delicious that you'll have none left by the time the main course comes.
More by this Author
There are many hearty and delicious Russian soups and one of them is called Solyanka. The soup is easy to make and has sour pickles as the main ingredient. Try this recipe out.
Syrniki also known as farmer cheese patties are a popular Russian breakfast dish loved by many. Syrniki are easy to make and taste delicious with a cup of hot tea or a chilled cup of fruit compote.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.