Russian Soup Recipes - Solyanka
I love Russian cuisine, especially the soups. Russian soups are hearty, delicious, and are also easy to make. There are many soup varieties in Russian cuisine and one of them is a soup called Solyanka.
The main ingredients in this soup are lots of sour pickles and cold cuts or franks. Other ingredients can include olives, onions, celery, and tomatoes. When served the soup is usually topped with lots of sour cream and served with freshly baked bread on the side.
You can make Solyanka using chicken or beef stock, vegetable stock, mushroom stock, or if you don't have either, you can just use water. You can add the liquid from the sour pickles to the soup as well.
Below is my recipe for Solyanka soup. Enjoy!
- Cold Cuts
- Chicken Franks or other Franks
- Sour Pickles
- Sea Salt
- Whole Black Pepper
- Bay Leaves
- Fresh Parsley
- Roasted Sesame Seeds
- Water or your favorite stock
- Boil your favorite chicken franks or other franks. When done cut them into cubes. Take your favorite cold cuts (not pre-sliced) and cut them into cubes as well. Fry all these ingredients in a deep pan.
- Peel an onion, chop and fry in a skillet until golden brown. Add to the pan with the franks and cold cuts.
- Cut sour pickles into cubes along with fresh celery slices and add to the deep pan. Mix everything and let cook until the pickles and celery are not as firm.
- Boil water in a tea kettle and add to the deep pan. Then add the whole black pepper, some bay leaves and a little bit of sea salt, though not a lot because the pickles are salty themselves. You don't want to over salt the soup. Then wash some fresh parsley, chop, and add into the pan. Let everything cook for about fifteen minutes.
- When serving the soup add some olives, sprinkled with roasted sesame seeds and a heaping spoon of sour cream. Serve with freshly baked bread. You can also add some cheese to the soup as well. I love to add some shredded Parmesan Grano Padano cheese.
© 2014 Lena Kovadlo
More by this Author
Syrniki also known as farmer cheese patties are a popular Russian breakfast dish loved by many. Syrniki are easy to make and taste delicious with a cup of hot tea or a chilled cup of fruit compote.
Oliv'ye salad is a popular Russian salad loved by many. It makes for a tasty and colorful appetizer that will liven up your dinner table. Try this great tasting Russian salad recipe today.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.