Sausage and Sage Oven Roasted Potatoes
Looking around at what to make for dinner, two days before payday, can sometimes be very interesting. Today, I had a 5lb bag of potatoes, and one 1/2lb log of Gwaltney Sausage. It must be good, since there isn't a single crumb left in the baking dish!
Thanksgiving is next week, and I've been having a time trying to decide what to do for stuffing, turkey is just better stuffed! Well as we were eating, it dawned on me that you can use potatoes instead of bread for Turkey Stuffing, and that this recipe, with or without a couple add ins, is absolutely perfect for it!
- 4 Medium Baking Potatoes, Idaho, Red, Russet, etc.
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or 1 clove well crushed
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp sage
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Peanut oil, + enough to coat pan
- **OPTIONAL ADD INS or choose your own**
- 1 apple, diced small
- 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup diced sweet or bell peppers, cook with Sausage and onions
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- more sausage
- 1/2 cup Broth or Stock, IF cooking inside a turkey
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly coat casserole pan in oil.
- Cook sausage, onions, and optional peppers on stove top, set aside to cool. Do Not Drain.
- Dice potatoes to 1/2" cubes, place first 9 ingredients plus your choice of optional ones (Do not add the stock yet) into a big bowl or bag. Mix up well. Pour into casserole dish.
- For side-dish, bake at 400F for 45 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- For Turkey Stuffing, bake at 400F for 20 minutes, remove and allow to cool. Add in stock, then stuff the turkey, Always cook a turkey to internal temperature of 165F, test thick part of meat AND test middle of stuffing. Put any extra stuffing back into oven and bake for 20-30 more minutes til done.
No comments yet.