Sausage/Chicken/Pepper Baked Ziti
Here's a great way to combine two of my favorite meals: Sausage/Chicken and Peppers and Baked Ziti. Enjoy!
1 box (16 oz.) ziti rigati pasta
4 teaspoons olive oil
2 red bell peppers, chopped
salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
8 links Italian sausage (mild or spicy, your choice)
1 pound chicken breast, cut into small chunks
2 cups ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped parsley
4 cups tomato sauce (I prepare my own, but any favorite jar sauce is fine.)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cook pasta in a large pot of lightly salted water until just tender.
2. Cook sausage in oven until just done. Cut into slices.
3. Heat oil in skillet (I use a wok) over medium heat. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion and peppers. Brown for two minutes and then add the chicken chunks. Cook until chicken is just done and add the sliced sausage. Mix all together as all the ingredients continue to cook for a few more minutes.
4. Meanwhile, mix ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 6 tablespoons parmesan cheese and the parsley in a large bowl.
5. Drain pasta; toss with cheese mixture. Add the sausage/chicken mixture and 2 cups of the sauce.
6. Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish. Spoon the remaining sauce on top; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes and serve!