How to Save those Aging Homegrown Tomatoes - a Recipe - Freezing Tomatoes
Rate my Hub for Me!
A Money Saving recipe for using those aging tomatoes
This is a money saving Recipe for those Tomato Lovers who hate to waste the tomatoes they have that are aging.
Follow this if you want to do something with them before they go bad..
This recipe will provide you with frozen tomatoes that have that fantastic fresh tomato flavor that you can use in your favorite dishes, long after fresh home grown tomatoes are gone from the marketplace.
Or, You can cook them down and into a nice Tomato Sauce using the attached recipe.
Gourmet Tomato Knife
Do not waste your aging tomatoes
At certain times of the year you will find that you are in your kitchen and are staring at a pile of wonderful homegrown Tomatoes that are beginning to go bad right in front of your eyes.
And you know you are soon going to be forced to discard them, and soon.
This usually occurs in the late Summer when it sometimes seems that every friend and coworker is bringing in fresh tomatoes and giving them away.
So, you end up with more tomatoes than you can eat, and often have to let many of the tasty delights go bad.
Well, keep reading.
You can freeze those great tasting tomatoes, and use them later in tomato sauces and in other of your favorite dishes, taking advantage of that fresh taste..
Follow these instructions, and you will end up with great tomatoes for use later when everyone else is using canned tomatoes or those horrible winter tomatoes that you get in the supermarket in the off season.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: 2 qts.
- 1 1-gal. Freezer bag, resealable
- 1 tsp Rough Ground Pepper
- 1 tbs. Salt
- 6 large Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 1 medium White Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. Basil
- 1 tsp. Oregano
- 4 tbs. Olive Oil
- 1-1/4 whole Ripe Tomatoes, cored and quartered
INSTRUCTIONS for freezing your aging tomatoes:
1. Keep an eye on your fresh tomatoes and when you see them starting to lose their freshness, prepare them for freezing.
2. Label the Freezer Bag with something like “Frozen Tomatoes” along with the date you place the first tomatoes into the bag.
3. Wash the Tomatoes and then remove the stem part from the body with a paring knife.
4. Cut the Tomato into quarters and drop them into your Freezer bag, and then place into the Freezer.
5. Over time, continue to salvage your aging tomatoes, and repeat the process and add to the Freezer Bag.
Nutriional Content of Tomato Sauce
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 13 g||4%|
|Sugar 10 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Sodium 1153 mg||48%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instructions for making Tomato Sauce
- Once you have a full Freezer Bag of Tomatoes, prepare the following for a great Sauce.
- Thaw the bag of Tomatoes in a large bowl of warm water.
- Place the Olive Oil into a large Saucepan and heat over a medium heat.
- Add the Chopped Garlic and onions along with the Salt and Pepper.
- Heat the mixture until cooked but do not caramelize, about 5-minutes.
- Add the thoroughly thawed tomatoes to the saucepan and bring back up to a slow boil.
- Add the other Herbs and Spices, and stir until well blended.
- Cover and drop the heat to a Simmer, and cook for 30-45minutes.
- If you want to use the sauce immediately, then serve hot over your favorite Pasta or with Rice or whatever.
- Otherwise, rinse out the used Freezer bag, and after allowing the sauce to cool to room temperature, pour it into the bag, reseal, change the label on the bag to “Tomato sauce” and change the date.
- Refreeze the bag of Sauce.
- When needed, thaw the sauce, warm it in a saucepan, and use for up to six months after the date frozen.
Easy Tomato Slicer
NOTES & SUGGESTIONS for using your frozen tomatoes
- You will find that by salvaging those fresh Summer Tomatoes and using them in your favorite dishes that call for tomatoes, you have a truly fresher and more delicious dish than if you used canned tomatoes.
- Of course you should experiment with the Herbs and Spices used to make the recipe fit your own tastes.
- I even add chopped Hot Italian Peppers, and sometimes Ground Beef to the Garlic-Onion mixture to kick the flavor up even more.
- If you want to add meat, cook it in a little EVOO, in a separate pan, and then add, hot.
How to Freeze Tomatoes
How to Freeze Tomatoes whole.
© 2011 Don Bobbitt
More by this Author
This is a great recipe for making a paste from Jalapeno pepper remnants. It is off the scale Hot and easy to make. When needed, just break off a frozen piece and drop it into your favorite dish. HOT!
The top three three varieties of Onions used by cooks are the; Red Onion, Yellow Onion and the White Onion. All are nutritios additions to a meal that provide great flavor to almost any dish.
This article explains how one of the more popular Scams is being perpetrated on owners of RVs and Motorhomes. It is basically a Check kiting type of scam with a twist to use it on Motorhome sellers.