Savory Sweet Potato and Egg Scramble With Green Peppers, Onions, Cheese, and Ham
What did you think of the sweet potato scramble? Leave your feedback!
On a whim before a week long trip, I baked some sweet potatoes with plans to use them in simple breakfast scrambles so that they wouldn't go bad while I was out of town. I have been on a big breakfast food kick the past year and was looking to change up the routine a little bit. I had no idea that I would get so hooked on this new scramble. If you like sweet potatoes and breakfast scrambles, you must give this a try. It comes together in minutes, it is easy to customize to fit personal tastes and preferences, and it is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. You can whip up a single serving for yourself or increase the portions to serve more people. Enjoy!
Sweet potatoes are really good for you!
- 9 Health Benefits of Sweet Potatoes | Care2 Healthy Living
Here are 9 reasons to add more sweet potatoes to your diet by best-selling author of The Life Force Diet, Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook, MSc, PhD, RNCP, ROHP.
- SWEET POTATOES Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts, Sweet Potato History and Recipes
Why should I bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time for this recipe?
It may seem like a big hassle to bake sweet potatoes just to make a breakfast dish. However, if this dish is something that you enjoy making a few times a week or you can use baked sweet potatoes in multiple recipes, you will save time by baking a few at once. The beauty of baking the potatoes ahead of time is that you can do it whenever it is most convenient. Once they are cool, peel them before you put them in the refrigerator. Then when you're ready to make your scramble, all you have to do is cube them. The sweet potatoes will heat through in just a couple minutes, saving you the 20-30 minutes that you would spend cooking them in the scramble.
Dicing Vegetables - How to Dice Veggies
- 1 small sweet potato, baked, peeled, and cubed
- 1/2 of a small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 of a green pepper, diced (or the sweet pepper of your choosing)
- 1 egg, scrambled
- 3 generous tablespoons shredded cheese (I like Colby jack or cheddar)
- 2 slices deli meat ham, ripped or chopped into small pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- olive oil, just enough to grease the pan
- Cube the sweet potato. Dice the onion and green pepper. Place them in a medium-large frying pan.
- Drizzle a little olive oil in the pan. You want to add just enough so that the vegetables don't stick to it.
- Mix the oil with the vegetables. Turn on the heat to medium.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until the onion is clear and the pepper is soft, stirring every minute or so.
- Add the shredded cheese and ham to the pan.
- When the cheese is melted, added the egg. You can scramble it in a bowl or scramble it right in the pan.
- Cook for another minute or so or until the egg is scrambled.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a plate and serve immediately.
What can I serve with this scramble?
- Carbohydrates: toast, bagels, English muffins.
- Hearty crackers or chips.
- Fresh fruit / a simple fruit salad.
- Green smoothies.
Are you interested in customizing this recipe?
It is so easy to customize this recipe. Whether you are simply trying to work with what you currently have in the refrigerator or you're catering to dietary needs or personal preferences, you can switch up any of the ingredients as you like. Use this recipe as a base for creating your own perfect scramble.
- Potatoes. I have made this exact recipe with potatoes instead of sweet potatoes. Personally I prefer sweet potatoes, but of course you can change up the potatoes as you like or even use a combination of sweet and white potatoes.
- Vegetables. If you have mushrooms on hand, they are a great addition to the green onion and pepper combination. If you have leftover vegetables in the fridge, such as broccoli, green beans, and cauliflower, don't be afraid to chop them up and toss them into the mix.
- Cheese. I keep a shredded Colby jack mix in the fridge for tacos, cheesy pasta, and a handful of other recipes that I make regularly so it's a natural choice for this scramble. Any shredded cheese / cheese mix is fine or you can grate a little cheese from a block.
- Meat. I usually have sliced deli meat ham and chicken in the fridge for sandwiches and snacking. As such, it's what I grab for my scrambles. Turkey, roast beef, and leftover carved meat are also great choices. Do you prefer the classic bacon or sausage choices for your breakfast dishes? Cook up a couple slices / pieces and add them to the scramble.
- Spices / herbs. I keep my scrambles simple with salt and pepper. If you enjoy cooking with fresh herbs and/or have other go to spices / seasonings for breakfast dishes, feel free to use them.
Spicy Potato Scramble - By Vahchef @ Vahrehvah.com
Are you looking for more breakfast scramble recipes? Check this out!
- White and Sweet Potato Scramble with Fresh Herbs - Can't Stay Out Of The Kitchen
Delicious concoction of white and sweet potatoes with leeks, onions, garlic and peppers with dill, parsley, cilantro, and rosemary. Great for breakfast.
- Sweet Potato Scramble with Spiced Maple-Peanut Sauce | Sprint 2 the Table
- Mushroom, Onion, and Rosemary Sweet Potato Scramble | i heart food
More Recipes From the Author
- 3 Ingredient Recipes: Slow Cooker Crock Pot Dinners
Are you looking for easy, healthy dinners with just a few ingredients? Check out these slow cooker crock pot recipes!
- Immersion Hand Blender Recipes: Pureed Soups, Smoothies, and More
Immersion hand blenders are inexpensive, versatile kitchen appliances. They can be used for pureed soups, dips, dressings, sauces, baby food, smoothies, desserts, and more.
- Easy Spinach, Cheese, and Sausage Calzone Recipe
Learn how to make your own spinach, cheese, and sausage calzones at home! This is an easy, healthy, family-friendly recipe.
© 2013 Rose Clearfield
More by this Author
If you enjoy tahini and stir fry, this shrimp stir fry recipe is for you. The sesame tahini sauce is a delicious marinade that can be paired with the vegetables of your choice.
This article contains a wide variety of alcoholic Popsicle recipes. It includes recipes for Popsicle margaritas, mojitos, and other cocktails as well as recipes with beer and with tequila.
This article is a collection of sample interview questions and answers for special education teachers. It also contains a number of tips and considerations for the interview.