Savory Venison Pepper Steak
Savory Venison Pepper Steak
Family friendly venison pepper steak
Venison Pepper Steak
This isn't your normal pepper steak recipe, I've tried changing it many ways looking for a version that is family friendly so when you have company they don't even know they're eating deer meat. Many people don't like venison because they think it's to strong or gamey, I came up with this recipe for use on venison that could fit that bill. You know the buck that's been running hard chasing a hot doe, or a deer that took too long to find. Any deer that could be strong works great with this recipe, kids love it, so will your mother in law. If you don't want her hanging around you'd better cook something she won't like.
Hunters are always on the look out for some good venison recipes. Most of us will eat venison straight off the grill, morning or evening but finding something that some city folk might enjoy, is quite the chore. I don't usually don't tell guest that we substitute venison for beef, they seldom know the difference.
- 2 lbs venison steaks, cut into 11/2-2" strips
- 2 med. onions, cut-up or chopped
- 2 med. tomatoes, cut up
- 2 large green peppers, cut up
- 1-8oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 clove garlic, can use 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
Savory venison pepper steak recipe
- Cut venison steaks into 11/2-2" strips, place in flour and cover completely. In a large skillet add your 3Tbsp. of cooking oil, and place floured meat in the skillet, use salt and pepper to season. Brown the meat on both sides.
- In a separate bowl combine soy sauce, garlic, and tomato sauce. Mix well and set aside.
- In the skillet along with the browned venison, add cut up onion, green pepper, and tomatoes. Mix in the ingredients from the bowl and stir until well combined. Bring to a boil, cover and turn down to simmer for approx. 11/2 hours.
- With about 20-30 minutes remaining cook your 3 cups of rice as directed on pkg. Mix water and corn starch together in a bowl and slowly stir into the venison skillet, cooking until it thickens. Once the pepper steak is ready, serve over the cooked rice.
More by this Author
Free deer feeder design, that we used to successfully track deer. Learning to track and understand deer using a feeder, can save you some valuable time scouting.
Free deer stand plans, that will help you build a hunting blind and memories for years to come. Take a child hunting because some day they just might take you.
Learn to make your own low cost tree stand seat replacement. No more wet, noisy, costly hunting stand seat replacements. Turn your stand into a quiet, light weight, hunting haven.