Savoury Steamed Pumpkin Cake Recipe – sugar-free, dairy-free and gluten-free !
This traditional Chinese savoury snack is commonly served during breakfast or tea-time with tea or coffee. The cake can be eaten as it is, though some prefer to take it with soy and chili sauce. This steamed cake does not require any sugar, dairy product, wheat flour, margarine and butter. It is great for people looking for gluten free, low fat and low sugar diet.
This sugar-free healthy cake makes you feel fuller longer and prevents overeating. It is great for pot-luck and party. I made this cake for parties and gatherings, and friends often asked me for the recipe.
There are several variants to this cake where the pumpkin can be substituted with yam or white radish. If white radish is used instead of pumpkin, you will be making the famous “Lok Bak Gou” (White Radish Cake) commonly served in Dim Sum restaurants.
500g of pumpkin
250g of rice flour
1000ml of water
100g of chicken meat
70g of dried prawn
3 dried mushrooms
2 tsp of oil
2 cloves garlic
1 red chilli
1 stalk of spring onions
1 tsp Salt
¼ tsp pepper
1) Soak the dried prawn and mushroom for half an hour or until they are soft.
2) Skin and cut the chicken meat into cubes.
3) Mince the garlic.
4) Skin the pumpkin and cut it into small cubes.
1) Add 500ml of water to the shifted rice flour. Stir well.
2) Heat two tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium heat. Fry garlic and dried prawns until crisp and fragrant.
3) Add in chicken meat and stir-fry until it is cooked.
4) Add in pumpkin and 500ml of water to cover the pumpkin. Continue stir-frying.
5) Add the salt and pepper. Simmer the pumpkin until it is soft or can easily cut through.
6) Pour in the rice flour mixture, and stir it till it turns sticky.
7) Pour mixture into a 21cm round cake tin and level the surface with a spatula.
8) Steam it over boiling water at low fire for 35 minutes.
9) Prepare toppings while steaming the cake. Cut shallot into slices and fry it till light brown. Slice the red chillies and spring onions.
10) Remove the cake from the steamer and sprinkle topping ingredients immediately on the hot cake.
11) Wait for the cake to cool down before cutting into slices and serve.
The cake can be kept in the refrigerator up to a week. Before serving, heat it up in the microwave oven or steamer. Alternatively, it can be cut into rectangle and pan-fry until light brown. The pan-fried crisped pumpkin cake is utterly delicious.
- Simply Acar - an irresistible Southeast Asian salad
Acar Acar is a type of salad popular in Southeast Asia especially in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. It is widely cooked among the Chinese, Malay and Indians. Due to different cultures...
- Azuki beans or Red Beans - high in nutrients, high ...
The Origins The red beans or Azuki beans (also known as adzuki or aduki beans) are major crop in Japan and China where they are harvested in November and December. In Japan, this small, approximately 5 mm,...
- Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup - the Wo...
Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup Bitter gourd, Carrot, Mushroom Chicken Soup is one of my favourite home-cooked soups. Chinese believes that this soup is excellent to remove the body heat or...
More by this Author
If you often think that it is hard to make a Cheesecake, you are most probably wrong. I have not failed in making this Cheesecake so far. With this successful attempt, my confidence went up and I have tried a few other...
- 57Low Fat Carrot Cake Recipe - The Best I have Tasted - Using Grape Seed Oil Instead of Butter or Margarine
This low fat carrot cake is incredibly delicious, the best I have ever tasted. The cake is rich with flavour and moist, but no butter or margarine is used, only the healthy grape seed oil is required. Try the recipe,...
If your feel that your hair is dropping in handfuls and you feel that you are starting to look more like your balding uncle than curly-haired beauty or hunk, then read on and do something about it! First of all, calm...