5-2 Diet Recipe; Scallops with Rocket Pesto and Ciabatta Toast
I have recently started the 5:2 Diet that I saw on the Horizon TV program featuring Michael Mosley, I was very impressed with the research that went into this and was more interested in the effects that the diet had on living a longer and better life and retaining all your mental faculties in peak condition as my late mother had dreadful problems with her memory in later life. I have now been on this diet, which is more of a lifestyle change than a diet and I have to say I have never been more relaxed about food since I was a teenager, basically 5 days of the week I can eat whatever I like, my cholesterol is at an all time low, I lose weight regardless of the amount of cake and chocolate I have consumed on my happy 5 days and although I thought I would find the 2 days where I fast during the day and eat a 450-500 calorie evening meal a struggle I am amazed that actually I don't struggle with this as I always think 'well tomorrow I can eat whatever I like' and if the day doesn't pan out and I do eat then I know I can always try again tomorrow (which so far has never happened), it fits into my lifestyle and I have to say I am more mentally alert and the weight is dropping off me.
I recently convinced a friend of mine to adopt this liberating lifestyle, yesterday was her first day, way to go Jane I am very proud of you, and so far so good. Her main problem seems to be that she is not a calorie counter by nature and has no idea what to eat on her fasting days so I've decided to set up a series of recipes that I love and use for all those out there that are looking for inspiration on our 5:2 Diet Days. And here is the first, despite not eating all day sometimes all I want is something lighter, or I may have had some soup first and am looking for a lighter option to have as a main course, and I hope that you all like it as much as I do and that you will have a look at the other recipes that I post as and when they appear on HubPages.
INGREDIENTS - SERVES 2
Handful of fresh Basil
85g Organic Baby Plum Tomatoes, quartered
2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Slices of Ciabatta Bread
½ Organic Garlic Clove, peeled (not crushed, leave whole)
For the Rocket Pesto:
35g Organic Rocket, finely chopped
¼ Organic Garlic Clove, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1¼ tsp White Wine Vinegar
Freshly ground Black Pepper and Sea Salt, to taste
- First of all take your scallops out of the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while you're making the Rocket Pesto.
- Place the rocket, garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar and seasoning into a small food processor if you have some and blitz. I like to double the amount of this Pesto as it will keep in the refrigerator for a few days to add a flavor explosion to anything you fancy, it tastes great on Steak.
- If you don't have a food processor then place the finely chopped ingredients listed in the step above into a bowl, mix thoroughly and set aside so that the flavors will melt together.
- Roughly chop the Basil and place in a bowl with the quartered tomatoes.
- Add 1 tbsp of Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, season and mix well.
- Pop your Ciabatta Bread in the toaster and lightly toast, or you can put this on the griddle, if using, while you cook your Scallops.
- Dip the Scallops in the remaining tablespoon of Olive Oil, season on both sides and place on a hot griddle or in a heavy frying pan over a high heat for 1½ minutes per side.
- Cover half your plates in a pool of Rocket Pesto.
- Place your Scallops on top of the Pesto.
- Rub the toasted Ciabatta with the peeled Garlic Clove.
- Place next to the Scallops and Pesto.
- Spoon the tomatoes and basil mixture over the Ciabatta.
- The 5-2 Diet Explained - A Lifestyle Change to Live Longer and Live Healthier
The 5:2 Diet - fasting but not as we know it - definitely more of an easy lifestyle change than a diet and even though it's fasting you eat every single day - try it you'll be very happy you did!
More by this Author
Good hearty body-warming food for the soul - Chicken Broth the perfect Scottish dish.
Looking for simple recipes for an evening meal, then how about this easy warming Beef recipe that is filling and can be prepared in advance - perfect for a cold Winter's day and a hungry family.
One of the best cakes for a teatime treat, easy recipe, quick to prepare, no mess and one of the best Lemon Drizzle Cakes you'll ever taste.