Great Seafood Recipes: Four Seafood Delights
An Almost Perfect Food
Salmon swim 1000s of mile back upstream to where they were born, to lay eggs and fertilize them, and then to die soon afterward. Bears stand in the water and on nearby boulders and catch them mid-air as they seem to jump up the rivers. Salmon is enjoyed by bears and humans a like.
Salmon is a low calories and low saturated fat meat. High in protein, it is also high in healthy fat: omega-3 essential fatty acids. These acids are vital to human health and cannot be manufactured by the body. They must come from food. Fish seem to contain a lot of it.
Wild cold water fish, including the salmon, are higher in omega-3 fatty acids than warm water fish. Salmon also contain a substantial amount of selenium, niacin (a B vitamin), Vitamin B 6, and vitamin B12, as well as the minerals phosphorus and magnesium.
Alex Beard paints the "Salmon Run" - 4 minutes.
The Omega-3s in salmon aide the circulatory system and are anti-inflammatory. Overall, the elements in salmon can help the eyes, skin, brain, nervous system, internal organs - and possibly even prevent sunburn! The evidence for all the health enhancement of salmon is pages and pages long.
In Ohio, before the Europeans came to live, the rivers were full of giant salmon. The the waterways were over-fished and the salmon became smaller.
One thing to remember is that sea live from farm-raised salmon kill most of the wild salmon that pass through their waters, so it is advantageous to all concerned to wild catch salmon whenever possible and avoid these particular farm fish.
Varieties Of SalmonClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- Yields: 4 to 6 servings
Please rate this Salmon recipe
Creole Salmon Supper
- 1 16-oz can salmon, undrained
- 1 Whole egg
- 1 Medium onion, diced
- 1 Large green bell pepper, diced
- 2 Cups cooked tomatoes (canned is fine, and use whatever variety you like - spicy, Italian, hot, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 cups shredded Sharp cheddar cheese
- Beat the egg and mix in the salmon.
- Add onion and green pepper, tomatoes, butter, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
- Simmer in a large pot only 10 - 15 minutes.
- Turn the pot's contents into a buttered casserole/baking dish or individual serving dishes (overn proof!).
- Cover with rest of bread crumbs and bake at 375 degrees F until top bread crumbs are brown.
- Top with cheese and melt under broiler or use a kitchen blow torch.
Salmon & Smokeboards with Vic Cherikoff
Wild Alaskan Salmon Becoming Difficult to Obtain
Crunchy Salmon Pie
- 1.5 cup all purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 Cup grated Cheddar Cheese
- 1/2 Cup chopped Walnuts
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 1 Cup shredded or grated Swiss Cheese
- 3/4 Cup Sour cream
- 1/2 Cup chopped Onion (Yello or Green onions; of gree, use part of the green tails as well)
- 1/4 Cup Mayonnaise or a good substitute
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 Cups chunked or flaked Salmon
- Mix flour with salt and cut in shortening with 2 knives or forks or a pastry cutter until crumbly.
- Next, mix in the cheddar cheese and nuts -- Set Aside 1/4 cup of this for a topping.
- Press rest of this flour/cheese mix into bottom and sides of a greased 9" pie plate as a CRUST. Refrigerate for one hour.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs and mix in Swiss cheese, sour cream, onion, mayonnaise and salt.
- Fold the salmon into the mix and don't be too rough or you'll wind up with a PASTE you don't want.
- Pour salmon into crust and distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle topping mix across the top of the pie surface.
- Bake at 375 Degrees F (pre-heat, please) 25 - 35 minutes or till knife blade in the center comes out clean.
Helicopter Fishing for Salmon
Louisiana Salmon Chowder
THE LOUSIANA THREE SISTERS:
- 1 chopped onion, medium sized
- ½ Cup diced celery
- 1/4 Cup diced green pepper
- 2 cloves chopped garlic (optional)
- Cooking oil - Olive Oil is my favorite, but canola is good
- 1 Cup H2O (I like to use spring water)
- 1 Small can (look like half a can) red salmon, undrained
- 3 Small potatoes, chopped coarse - red potatoes or Yukon gold
- 1 Cup milk
- 1 Cup cream
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- Saute the celery, onion, and green pepper together in the oil over medium high heat. Add garlic at this point if you want it and sauté a bit further - about a minute.
- Mix in the potatoes and 1 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- In a bowl, remove skin and bones from the salmon and add it along with the juice to 1 cup milk and 1 cup cream. If all the bones won't some out, smash them up small. They have calcium!
- Add salmon mixture to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer for about an hour.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter to the pot at this point and simmer until heated through and done.
- Sprinkle top with paprika in serving bowls for color & flavor; add any of your favorite garnishes. Dill weed is excellent. Hot sauce can be used. In fact, during the saute process, a bit of dill can also be added. Anything you really like can be good in this.
Poacher's Relish, a Salmon Relish with Lemon
Lime and Dill Salmon Dip & Garnish
INGREDIENTS & PROCEDURE
- 1 Can Red Sockeye Salmon - remove any skin and bones, or crush bones very well.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped Onion
- 6 - 8 oz Cream Cheese (to the overall consistency you like)
- Juice from one Lime
- 1 Tablespoon chopped Dill Weed, or 2 teaspoons dried dill.
- Mix all ingredients very well in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Cover the bowl and set it in the refrigerator for 3 hours before serving to chill and meld flavors.
- Serve with any number of your favorite chips, crackers, and breads. Or, place a dollop in a bowl of Salmon Chowder.
More by this Author
Try these fun recipes with your favorite pasta shapes.
Cilantro is sometimes called Chinese parsley, but it originates with the coriander plant or the Latin Coriander sativum.
My "Characteristics of the Ideal Employee" comes from 15 years' consensus of employers in a range of industries. These ideals can help you gain a job and earn promotions. See some added new tips!