Seafood Appetizer Recipes: Shrimp Teriyaki
There are many seafood appetizer recipes out there and shrimp appetizer recipes are among them. If you love seafood and shrimp you may want to try a shrimp Teriyaki recipe. It is quick and easy to make and tastes delicious.
I just made shrimp Teriyaki for the first time and I have to say that I am definitely going to make it again and again. It is that good. And it's something different and unexpected.
I thought that this shrimp appetizer recipe would be time consuming and difficult to master but it is not that way at all. This is one of the simplest recipes I have ever made. And the taste is so good that I just can't get enough.
- 1/2 pound fresh uncooked shrimp
- Teriyaki sauce (island soyaki)
- cooking oil
- dried basil
- Take the shrimp, remove the shell from the entire shrimp including the tail. Remove the legs too. Discard the shell and the legs. Then place the shrimp into a bowl and cover with water. Turn them in the water and then drain. After that rinse the shrimp in a colander under running water and transfer to a clean bowl.
- Pour enough of the Teriyaki sauce onto the shrimp and turn the shrimp with your hands so each one is covered with Teriyaki sauce. Let sit for about five minutes. I use "Island Soyaki" Teriyaki sauce that I buy from Trader Joe's. It has pineapple juice, ginger, sesame seeds, onion, sesame oil, and garlic, among other ingredients. Tastes much better than regular Teriyaki sauce.
- Pour cooking oil into a skillet and place over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot transfer all the shrimp onto the skillet, along with any Teriyaki sauce that remains in the bowl. The shrimp has to be cooked until it turns pink. Since the shrimp turns pick very quickly the cooking time is about 4 minutes. As soon as one side of the shrimp turns pink turn them over with a spatula to let the other side cook. Once the other side turns pink turn them with a spatula a few more times and turn off the heat. Transfer the contents onto a plate, sprinkle with dried basil and you are ready to eat and serve your shrimp teriyaki.
- Remember not to overcook the shrimp or they will be too dry and will taste like rubber.
Shrimp Teriyaki as an Entrée
Shrimp teriyaki makes for a great seafood appetizer but it can also be used to create a main dish entrée. Instead of eating shrimp teriyaki by itself you can add a side dish to it to create a complete filling and delicious meal. Chinese noodles along with some fresh broccoli go well with shrimp teriyaki and create a unique entrée that you and others will surely love and enjoy a great deal.
To make Chinese noodles and broccoli:
Boil water in a kettle. Then wash the broccoli, place into a pot and cover it with boiling water. Cover the pot with a lid and let sit for about 4-5 minutes without turning on the heat. Then drain out the water.
Add water to a pot along with a little bit of salt and place over medium heat. Once the water starts to boil add your Chinese noodles. When the water starts to boil again cook them for a few minutes. Once the noodles are tender drain them and place into a bowl. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds, add a few teaspoons of sesame oil and a few teaspoons of duck sauce. Mix everything together. Then add the cooked broccoli and mix again.
Place a desired amount of the Chinese noodles and broccoli and add some shrimp teriyaki on top of it or on the side. You are now ready to enjoy a delicious shrimp teriyaki entrée that will fill you up and leave you craving for seconds.
I love shrimp a lot. I love making shrimp salad with celery, onions, mayo and a little bit of lemon. I also love to eat them with Teriyaki sauce or in seafood soup.
What are your favorite shrimp recipes? Feel free to share them in the comments...
More by this Author
Miso soup is a traditional soup served in all Japanese restaurants. It is healthy, delicious and easy to make. Learn how to make miso soup here.
We all love a delicious slice of pizza once in a while. Now you can enjoy a slice without leaving home. Here are some homemade pizza recipes you are sure to love.
Here is a list of useful Microsoft Word shortcuts that will save you valuable time and are easy to use. Save this list for future reference. It will come in handy.