Superb Seafood Lasagna
Given the fact that no one in my family is excited about the traditional Christmas Dinner, I decided to replace the turkey with this amazing seafood lasagna. Result: everyone was delighted. It is an excellent choice when you want to entertain and make a good impression because it is easy and tastes superb, plus, you can make it beforehand and sit with everyone while the lasagna cooks up in the oven.
Ingredients for Seafood Lasagna
(serves 6 very good portions)
1 package precooked pasta for lasagna (you´ll need only 7 ounces)
10 ounces shrimp
1 can smoked oysters (2.5 ounces)
2 cans crab meat (9 ounces in total)
½ cup white wine
¼ cup finely chopped shallots
½ cup finely chopped onion
¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
6 tomatoes peeled# and chopped
1.5 ounces unsalted butter
1.5 cups grated Gruyere cheese
¼ cup olive oil
¼ liter sweet cream
1 clove garlic finely chopped
12 ounces tomato puree
1 small egg
¼ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
½ Tablespoon dry basil
½ teaspoon dry oregano
chicken broth or bouillon powder and pepper to taste
How to Make the Seafood Lasagna
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic, stir for two or three minutes until onion turns translucent; add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, cook for a few minutes; add basil and oregano and simmer for half an hour covered and over low heat. Season with chicken broth and pepper to taste.
- Separately, fry the shallots in olive oil, add the parsley and white wine; let reduce for a couple of minutes and add the seafood chopped coarsely (not too fine so that the seafood can be noticed).
- Season with salt and pepper bearing in mind that the smoked oysters and the cheese we will add at the end have a considerable salt content.
- In a baking dish (approximately 12 x 8 inches), spread some tomato sauce, layer the precooked lasagna pasta sheets, cover with some tomato sauce first, a portion of the seafood mixture second and finally some grated Gruyere cheese; continue layering the pasta, tomato, seafood and cheese for a total of three layers.
- Mix the cream with the egg, broth, pepper and Gruyere cheese; pour the white sauce over the top of the lasagna to fill the dish. Cover with the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
Bake for 30 to 45 minutes at 356 °F.
TIP: to easily peel tomatoes, cut a small cross in the skin and dip them for no more than 1 minute in boiling water, this process separates the skin from the meat.
NOTE: if you haven´t enough white sauce to fill the baking dish you can add a little chicken stock to cover the lasagna.
Other World Cuisine Recipes
- Moroccan Kefta with Egg and Tomato Recipe
Recipe for a Moroccan dish made of Moroccan spiced lamb meatballs (kefta). This traditional street food is a basic but tastes delicious!
- Mexican Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Walnut Sauce
A balanced not-too-sweet version of Stuffed Poblano Chilies with Walnut Sauce topped with a beautiful garnish of pomegranate kernels, a sweet and savory traditional and festive Mexican dish famous for its unique blend of flavors and exotic compositio
More by this Author
A healthy lunch recipe that can be described as an open tofu sandwich or bruschetta, topped with a raw salad. Includes nutritional value and tips for making your own healthy lunch ideas.
A detailed step by step Mexican recipe for a sweet garnish made with plantains (fruit of a tropical plant of the same family as the banana) for sweet & savory dishes.
Halong Bay, a UNESCO World Heritage Site in Vietnam. Includes ancient grottos, Cat Ba National Park, map, and plenty of photographs.