Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients
Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients
Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients. Seafoods are foods from bodies of water which can be referred to as sea animal or any foods -- plants that is cooked as food or fresh eaten by human beings. I grew up in the Philippines and seafoods are part of our daily meal including the rice which is our staple food. Seafoods can be an ingredient used for various meals like pasta, noodles and vegetables.
According to wikipedia -- seafoods are "similar animals from fresh water and all edible aquatic animals are collectively referred to as seafood".
One type of seafoods are fishes that is eaten by humans as well as other animals -- it is a water animal.
Seafoods are very rich in protein, calcium and other minerals and vitamins essential to our health, but there are precautions when eating fish.
In this hub, I will discuss seafoods as cooking ingredient.
Mercury in Fishes and Pregnancy
Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients --- Examples of seafoods as cooking ingredients
- Lobster, clams, shrimp and fish as cooking ingredients for pasta
- Shrimp and crabmeat as cooking ingredients for noodles, you can also add chili on it
- Lobster, clams, shrimp and fish for stir fry and other vegetables
- Tuna as cooking ingredients for tuna sandwiches
Seafoods are used in different cultures as cooking ingredients in different magnitude or amount.
Trout, tuna, scad, snapper, tilapia, carp, catfish, cod, anchovy, eel, haddock, halibut, mackerel, salmon, sardines, herring
Seaweeds variety of seaweeds are used as appetizers mixed with other herbs and spices or vegetables like tomatoes
Mollusks and crustaceans like shrimps, squid, lobsters, clams are mainly used in pasta-- noodles as cooking ingredients
Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients
Safety precautions when eating fishes
According to the United States Food and Drug Administration US-FDA there are safety precautions when perusing fishes as part of the meal as they contain mercury which is poisonous. Women who are in their childbearing years and and children : extra precautions and safety:
- Don't eat shark, swordfish, mackerel and tilefish as they contain "high levels of mercury".
- .Eat only up to 1twelve (12) two average meals a week of a variety of seafoods which have low levels of mercury like tuna,salmon,pollock and catfish. Albacore has lower level of mercury than canned tuna.
- According to the FDA always "monitor local announcement in the area about the safety of fishes caught in the locality. If no advice is available, just "eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week".
Health Benefits of seafoods
- Nutrients and minerals in seafood can help in brain development. It is good even for memory and old people are enjoined to eat seafoods as they are rich in Omega3 DHA
- Seafoods are rich in vitamin A -- eyes and skin health, Calcium for bones and Vitamin D - for absorption of Calcium
- It prevents goiter
- Helps in reproduction
- The role for seafood in the functionality of the human bodyis that it normalize body functioning
- it is healthy for your heart-- eating less fat which are saturated and has lots of omega 3 can lower cholesterol
- Good for those who have hypertension problems and avoiding it as it is low in cholesterol level
- It helps in rheumatoid arthritis (need more research on this)
Fish has 110 -140 calories per 4 ounces -- and 20-25 g of Protein and 1-5 g of protein
Seafoods As Cooking Ingredients -- How to store fish
- Fish can be stored in freezer and defroze it five hours before you cooked it so that it will become soft.
- Signs that fish will be disposed is when it has bad smell already
- Choose fresh fish in farmers market -- eyes are not red, they are not soft - still firm
Other LINKS On Cooking Ingredients
- Different Kinds of Dairy :: All We Need To Know About Dairy
Different Kinds of Dairy :: All We Need To Know About Dairy. Dairy products are food products which can be derived from animals such as cows, buffalo's milk, carabao and goat, sheeps, yaks or horses too. A...
- Different Kinds of Cheese :: All We Need to Know About Cheese
Different Kinds of Cheese :: All We Need to Know About Cheese. Growing up in South East Asia, my family don't eat a lot of cheese, although we drink fresh milk from animals specifically -- carabao. This is a...
- Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Health Benefits
Various Kinds of Whole Grains and its Benefits. There are various kinds of whole grains and we need the nutrients we can get from such healthy foods for our daily activities. Whole grains are preferred rather...
- Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health
Eat Rice to Boost your Energy and Health. I remember my mother used to tell me to eat rice so that I have the energy to go to school, learn and then I can still play outside. She is correct, the United States...
- All About Rice : Variety, Health Benefits, Storage and Where to Buy It
All About Rice : Variety, Health Benefits, Storage and Where to Buy It. Rice is a cereal grain which is the staple food of more than half of the worlds population. Growing up in South East Asia. it is part of...
- Herbs and Spices :: Storage, Amounts to Add, How Long to Keep Herbs and Spices
People from all over the world have been using herbs and spices for many centruries now. it is as old as cooking. Generally herbs and spices gives aroma and flavor to foods which make them more palatable and...
- Where to Buy Rice in The United States
Where to Buy Rice in The United States. As a migrant in the United States (US), when I first arrived here, I wonder where I could buy rice. Rice has been my staple food and I grew up eating it like most South...
More by this Author
Easy to Prepare Cocktails : Mixed Drinks Made Easy. A cocktail is a combination of mixed drinks -- spirits usually mixed with other ingredients usually to have a distinct taste so as the taste of the spirit is easily...
Different Kinds of Leavening Agents. What are leavening agents or leaveners? Leavening agents are substances that are used in batters as well as doughs which are used to soften the dough and it is also used for...
Acupressure for Lovers: The Power of Touch Acupressure for Lovers: The Power of Touch. Have you heard of that before? It is amazing how the power of touch can give pleasure specially to lovers. Know the basic of...