Secret Recipes-Top Ten
Secret Recipes-Top Ten
Please find below a rough guide to ten of the top secret recipes that the originators didn't want you to know about. These are in no way in any particular order, and are only my opinion. There are many more alternatives available on the internet if you search for them. I have tried all of the recipes below and to be honest I couldn't tell the difference from the real thing. So if you want to save some hard earned cash and cook for yourself cheaper, than it would cost at some of the places listed below, please read on.
Ben & Jerry's Giant Chocolate Chip Cookies
1/2 cup Butter, room temperature
1/4 cup Granulated sugar
1/3 cup Brown sugar
1 Large egg
1/2 teas Vanilla extract
1 cup (+ 2 teas) All Purpose Flour
1/2 teas Salt
1/2 teas Baking Soda
1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. Beat the butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl until light
and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
3. Mix the flour, salt, and baking soda in another bowl. Add the dry
ingredients to the batter and mix until well blended. Stir in the
chocolate chips and walnuts.
4. Drop the dough by small scoops 2 to 3 inches apart on an ungreased
cookie sheet. Flatten each scoop with the back of a spoon to about 3
inches in diameter.
5. Bake until the centers are still slightly soft to the touch, 11 to
14 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer
to racks to cool completely.
Makes 12 to 15 cookies.
Burger King Breakfast Sandwiches
For the eggs, you will need to create a ring to make them
perfectly round (same as with an Egg McMuffin). Just cut both
ends off tuna cans, clean thoroughly, and you will have a mold
to use. Be sure to use non−stick spray around the sides that
touch the egg. When they're time to flip over, left the can
up and loosen the egg from the can with a knife.
> For The Biscuit Sandwich:
Use Pillsbury "Grands" Buttermilk Biscuits (Five biscuits per can)
1 Egg per biscuit
2 oz. ground breakfast sausage per biscuit, or two slices bacon
1 slice American cheese per biscuit
Prepare biscuits according to package instructions.
Meanwhile, cook bacon and/or sausage. Flatten the sausage out
to be about the same diameter as your tuna cans, and cook.
Beat each egg individually and fry using the molds. Salt and
pepper to your taste.
To assemble, slice biscuit in half; on the bottom, place the egg,
then sausage/bacon, topped with a cheese slice, and then top half
of biscuit. Microwave for about 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
> For the Croissanwich:
To prepare the large croissants, use 1 − 8 ounce can of Pillsbury
Original Crescent Rolls (normally, 8 rolls). Open the can and
separate the dough into four squares (two rolls per square). Take
one square, separate the pieces and turn one 180 degrees around to
form a large triangle. Pinch the dough in the middle to seal, and
roll up starting with the wide end. Then, take both ends and bring
together to form a tight circle. Repeat with others and cook
according to instructions. Top in the same manner as biscuits.
Grandma's Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies
Grandma's Cookie Company was founded back in 1914 by Foster Wheeler, but it wasn't until
1977 that the company introduced the popular Big Cookie. This large, soft cookie comes two to a pack and is offered in several varieties, including oatmeal raisin. Now you can bake up a
couple batches all your own with this kitchen clone. Just be sure not to over do it in the oven.
You want these cookies soft and chewy when cool -- just like a happy grandma would make 'em -
- so take them out when they are just beginning to turn light brown around the edges.
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups oats (not instant)
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees.
2. Combine raisins with water in a food processor and blend on high speed for about 1 minute or
until very smooth.
3. Combine this raisin puree with the vegetable shortening, egg, brown sugar and vanilla in a
large bowl. Mix well with electric mixer until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Pour this
dry mixture into the wet mixture and mix well until ingredients are incorporated. Mix in raisins.
5. Roll 3 tablespoon portions of the dough into a ball in your hands and press to 1/2-inch flat on
an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook, or the cookies
will not be chewy. Store in a sealed container.
Makes 16 to 18 cookies.
Hard Rock Cafe Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
It's the chunkiest darn chicken soup you'll ever slurp down and it comes from the first
worldwide theme eatery and hip hangout. Crank up the rock 'n roll and throw all this good stuff
into a pot and enjoy this final secret recipe in our series of mouth-watering soup clones. Bah-bye
1 pound chicken breast fillets
1 pound chicken thigh fillets
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
1 cup sliced carrot
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
2 cups egg noodles
minced fresh parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Rub a little vegetable oil over the surface of each piece of chicken and arrange them on a
baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the chicken from the oven when it's done and set it
aside to cool.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Sauté the onion and
celery in the saucepan for just 4 to 5 minutes. You don't want to brown the veggies.
4. Dice the chicken and add it to the pot along with the remaining ingredients, except the
5. Bring the soup to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the carrots are
6. Add the noodles and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the noodles are tender.
Serve with a pinch of minced fresh parsley sprinkled on top.
Makes 6 servings.
KFC Macaroni & Cheese
Here's another one of KFC's famous side dishes. We'll use easy-to-melt Velveeta as the
main ingredient for the cheese sauce with its very smooth texture. Then a bit of cheddar cheese is
added to give the sauce a sharp cheddary zing like the original. It's a very simple recipe that will
take only 15 minutes to prepare. That's great news if you're a lazy cook like me who wants to dig
right into the tasty vittles.
6 cups water
1 1/3 cups elbow macaroni
4 ounces Velveeta cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Bring water to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Add elbow macaroni to the water
and cook it for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. While the macaroni is boiling, prepare the cheese sauce by combining the remaining
ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir often as the cheese melts into a smooth
3. When the macaroni is done, strain it and then pour it back into the same pan, without the
4. Add the cheese sauce to the pan and stir gently until the macaroni is well-coated with the
cheese. Serve immediately while hot.
Makes about 3 servings.
Original Tommy's World Famous Hamburgers
This recipe may be for the whole hamburger, but anybody who knows about Tommy's
goes there for the chili -- and that's the part of this recipe they really want. That's also the part
that required the most kitchen work. Turns out it's an old chili con carne recipe created back in 1946 by Tommy's founder, Tommy Koulax, for his first hamburger stand on the corner of Beverly and Rampart Boulevards in Los Angeles. Adding the right combination of water and
flour and broth and spices to the meat we can create a thick tomato-less chili sauce worthy of the millions of southern California college students that make late-night Tommy's runs a four-year habit. And if you don't live near one of the two -dozen Tommy's outlets, you can still get a gallon of Tommy's famous chili shipped to you. But I hope you really dig the stuff: You'll shell out around 70 bucks for the dry ice packaging and overnight shipping. And don't expect to see the ingredients on the label since the chili comes packed in a gallon-size mustard jug.
1 pound ground beef (not lean)*
1/4 cup flour plus 1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/3 cups beef broth
4 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoon grated (and then chopped) carrot
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
3 pounds ground beef
8 hamburger buns
16 slices Kraft cheddar cheese Singles
1/2 cup diced onion
32 to 40 hamburger pickles (slices)
8 slices large beefsteak tomato (1/2-inch thick)
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1. Prepare the chili by first browning the meat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Crumble
the meat as it browns. When the meat has been entirely cooked (7 to 10 minutes), pour the meat
into a strainer over a large cup or saucepan. Let the fat drip out of the meat for about 5 minutes,
then return the meat back to the first saucepan. Cover and set aside.
2. With the fat from the meat, we will now make a roux -- a French contribution to thicker
sauces and gravies usually made with fat and flour. Heat the drippings in a saucepan over
medium heat (you should have drained off around 1/2 cup of the stuff). When the fat is hot, add
1/4 cup flour to the pan and stir well. Reduce heat to medium/low, and continue to heat the roux,
stirring often until it is a rich caramel color. This should take from 10 to 15 minutes. Add the
beef broth to the pan and stir. Remove from heat.
3. Meanwhile, back at the other pan, add the water to the beef, then whisk in the remaining 1 1/4
cups flour. Add the ro ux/broth mixture and the other chili ingredients and whisk until blended.
Make sure your grated carrot is chopped up to the size of rice before you add it.
4. Crank the heat up to medium/high. Stir often until you see bubbles forming on the surface of
the chili. Turn the heat down to medium/low, and continue to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or
until thick. The chili should be calmly bubbling like lava as it simmers. When it's done cooking,
take the chili off the heat, cover it, and let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour before using it on the
burgers. It should thicken to a tasty brown paste as it sits.
5. To make your hamburgers, you'll first divide 3 pounds of hamburger into 16 portions of 3
ounces each. Grill the burgers on in a hot skillet or on an indoor griddle for 4 to 5 minutes per
side or until done. Use some salt and pepper on each patty.
6. Build the burgers by lightly toasting the faces of the hamburger buns. Turn them over into a
hot skillet or a griddle on medium heat.
7. Place one patty onto the bottom bun.
8. Position two slices of cheese on the meat.
9. Place another beef patty on the cheese.
10. Spoon about 1/3 cup of chili onto the beef patty.
11. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of diced onion onto the chili.
12. Arrange 4 to 5 pickle slices on the onion.
13. Place a thick slice of tomato on next.
14. Spread mustard over the face of the top bun and top off your hamburger by turning this bun
over onto the tomato.
Makes 8 burgers. (6 cups of chili.)
Make sure the ground beef you use has a fat content of at least 20%. This way you'll be
sure to get enough fat to make the roux.
Wendy's Spicy Chicken Fillet Sandwich
There once was a time when Wendy's offered this sandwich for a "limited-time-only."
Apparently the tasty zing from this breaded chicken sandwich won it many loyal customers and
a permanent place on the fast-food chain's menu. Now you can recreate the spicy kick of the
original with a secret blend of spices in the chicken's crispy coating. Follow the same stacking
order as the original, and you've just made 4 sandwiches at a fraction of the cost of the real
6-8 cups vegetable oil
1/3 cup Frank's Original Red Hot Pepper Sauce
2/3 cup water
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 chicken breast fillets
4 plain hamburger buns
8 teaspoons mayonnaise
4 lettuce leaves
4 tomato slices
1. Preheat 6-8 cups of oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees.
3. Combine the pepper sauce and water in a small bowl.
4. Combine the flour, salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, onion powder, paprika and garlic
powder in another shallow bowl.
5. Pound each of the chicken pieces with a mallet until about 3/8-inch thick. Trim each breast
fillet if necessary to help it fit on the bun.
6. Working with one fillet at a time, coat each piece with the flour, then dredge it in the diluted
pepper sauce. Coat the chicken once again in the flour mixture and set it aside until the rest of
the chicken is breaded.
7. Fry the chicken fillets for 8-12 minutes or until they are light brown and crispy. Remove the
chicken to a rack or to paper towels to drain.
8. As chicken is frying, prepare each sandwich by grilling the face of the hamburger buns on a
hot skillet over medium heat. Spread about 2 teaspoons of mayonnaise on the face of each of the
inverted top buns.
9. Place a tomato slice onto the mayonnaise, then stack a leaf of lettuce on top of the tomato.
10. On each of the bottom buns, stack one piece of chicken.
11. Flip the top half of each sandwich onto the bottom half and serve hot.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
California Pizza Kitchen Thai Chicken Pizza
Spicy peanut sauce:
1/2 Cup peanut butter
1/2 Cup hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp. honey
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. minced ginger
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. Vietnamese chili sauce (or dried chili flakes)
1 Tbsp. oyster sauce
2 Tbsp. water
Thai chicken pieces:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
10 oz. boneless/skinless chicken beast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
For the pizza:
Make pizza dough using your own recipe.
2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
4 scallions, slivered diagonally
1/2 Cup white bean sprouts
1/4 Cup shredded carrots
1/4 Cup chopped, roasted peanuts
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
To make spicy sauce:
Combine sauce ingredients in a small pan over med. heat. Bring the sauce
to a boil; boil gently for one minute. Divide into 2 portions for use on
chicken and pizza; Set aside.
To make Thai chicken:
Cook the chicken in olive oil over med-high heat, stirring, until just
cooked, 5 to 6 min..do not overcook. Set aside in refrigerator until
chilled through. Once chilled, coat the chicken with 1/4c sauce.
Set aside in refrigerator.
To make the pizza:
Use a large spoon to spread 1/4c sauce evenly over pizza dough within
the rim. Cover sauce with 3/4c cheese.
Distribute half the chicken pieces over the cheese followed by half the
green onions, bean sprouts, and carrots, respectively. Sprinkle an
additional 1/4c cheese over the toppings and top the pizza with 2Tbl
Transfer the pizza to oven: bake until crisp and golden and the cheese is
bubbly, 9 to 10 min. When cooked through, remove pizza from oven.
Sprinkle 1T chopped cilantro over the hot cheesy surface.
Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second pizza.
Makes two 9-inch pizzas.
KFC Buttermilk Biscuits
A favorite has to be the buttermilk biscuits they are so light and fluffy they just melt in your mouth. They were made fresh daily in every store. Now due tot he popular demand of
these biscuits, they come frozen.
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup club soda
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup butter milk
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Combine all of the ingredients, knead the dough by hand until the dough holds together do notover knead. Flour your hands Pat the dough flat to 3/4-inch
thickness out biscuits with a biscuit cutter. Bake on a greased baking sheet for 13 minutes, or until golden brown, when they come out of the oven brush with melted butter.
KFC ORIGINAL RECIPE
2 fryer chickens cut up into 8 pieces and marinated
6 cups Crisco Shortening
1 eggs well beaten
2 cups Milk
2 cups Flour
2 teaspoons ground pepper
3 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon MSG
1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 dash paprika
Place shortening into the pressure cooker and heat over medium heat to the shortening reaches 400°F. In a small bowl, combine the egg and milk. In a separate bowl, combine
the remaining six dry ingredients. Dip each piece of chicken into the milk until fully moistened. Roll the moistened chicken in the flour mixture until well coated. In groups of four or five, drop the covered chicken pieces into the shortening and lock the lid. When pressure builds up cook for 10 minutes.
Makes enough for two people.