Low Cholesterol Currant & Lemon Cookies
Tasty Currant & Lemon Cookies
How do you prefer your lemon?See results without voting
Looking for low cholesterol cookies?
Instead of buying cookies from bakery shops or shopping centre, why not bake some homemade Currant and Lemon Cookies at the comfort of your home.
- Store bought cookies may contain saturated fats from the margarine they had used and too much coarse sugar may increase your blood sugar level.
- The main reason why I don’t buy store cookies anymore does not know what or the quantity of the ingredients used in these cookies.
- By making homemade cookies, I will know how much sugar, butter, flour that I had included in my cookies.
- I am able to handle the amount of calories and reduce cholesterol level when consuming these delicious crunchy cookies.
Reduce Sugar & Butter
In addition this Currant and Lemon Cookies taste AWESOME, far better than store bought cookies which are sold in cake box at pricey price tag. Some cookies were broken due to shipper’s negligence or shoppers dropping them onto the floor and put them back on the shelves. Who knows how long these cookies were made and displayed on the sales rack!
In this cookie recipe, I had reduced the amount of:
- Sugar from 120g to 90g (3.17 ounce)
- Butter from 180g to 120g (4.23 ounce )
- You can add in more currants if you desire or replace them with chopped red cherries, dates or sultanas.
Table Conversion to US Measurement
Flour / Sugar
1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup of butter
1/3 cup of butter
1/2 cup of butter
Gram to Ounce
80g = 2.8 ounce
240g = 8.5 ounce
120g = 4.2 ounce
30g = 1.0 ounce
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 50-60 pieces
- 120g butter
- 80g granulated sugar, or icing sugar
- 1 egg, Grade A
- 1 lemon, finely grated zest and juice
- 30g currants / raisins, chopped
- 240g plain flour,, sieved
- 1 egg, for glazing (optional)
- Preheat oven at 180C. Line cookie tray with baking sheet with a little butter.
Cream butter and eggs
Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy
Beat in the egg and mix well.
Grate the lemon zest
Add in the lemon zest and juice and chopped currants.
Mix again until all ingredients are well blended.
Beat the batter
Pour in sieved flour and stir until it will form a stiff batter.
Transfer to a floured surface.
Spread flour onto flat surface
Knead well and then transfer it back to the mixing bowl. Chill in fridge for 30 min.
Roll out the dough on lightly floured surface.
Dip in cookie cutter into flour
Dip cookie cutters into the flour so that the cookie dough does not stick into it.
Stamp the cookies out, transfer to the lightly greased baking sheet.
Place cookies onto greased baking tray
Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until the cookies turn golden brown.
The cookies may feel soft after freshly bake.
Leave them to cool on the rack for 10 minutes.
You will be amazed that these cookies turn firm and crunchy after that.
Store in air tight container.
Why I Choose Lemons?
Everyone has a misunderstanding that lemon tastes sour at first sight. If you combine lemon juice with sugar or honey, it gives you a refreshing beverage that perks you up like coffee or tea.
- Like any other fruits, lemons consist of flavanoid substance that includes anti-oxidant, an anti-cancer compound that keeps your body cell from developing cancer cells.
- In addition, lemons are extremely high in vitamin C, just like orange juice, a power pack oval yellow fruit that protect our immune system from breaking down easily.
- It is the best natural antibiotic that doctor cannot prescribe to prevent you from catching flue, runny nose, cold and achy bones.
- As our body comes contact with free radical s daily when we are expose to open air public places, offices and schools, the airborne germs and bacteria penetrates through our skin and the air that we breathe in.
- Hence, the vitamin C in lemons neutralizes all the free radicals both in our body system and our skin. Lemons resemble the knights while vitamin C resembles the shields, as the knights use the shields to protect our body from coming down with common illness.
Hence, why not add in 1 zest of lemon with the freshly squeeze juice into your cakes, muffins or cookies instead of chocolate chips?
Raisins and red cherries
The Brand I Trusted
Why I choose currants?
Oh yes, not to be forgotten. Adding chopped currants into my cookies give an additional benefit in providing fiber to our digestive system.
- As you know, currants are like raisins, figs, bran and oats which provide fiber and soluble to our intestines and bowel system to enhance a smooth bowel movement daily.
- With the fiber, the waste turns soft and breakable rather than hard stool that induces constipation in kids and young adults.
- Therefore, I always add in a handful of chopped dried fruits and a wide variety of chopped roasted nuts into my cookies for additional nutrients and fiber.
- Thus, I make sure that my kids consume healthy low cholesterol cookies instead of letting indulge in sweet, chocolate cookies.
Easy Way To Make Lemon Zest
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 2 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Try this Chocolate Chip and Raisin Muffins
More cookies and cakes recipes
- Chocolate Chip Raisin Muffins Recipe
Delicious muffins with chocolate chips and raisins. Sweet to the tooth. Muffins are most people favorites for tea parties, special occasions and even lunch box for kids. If you can't finish the muffins, keep them refrigerated up to 3 days and toast t
- Biscuit Recipe: Best Loved Easter Walnut Biscuits
Easter Day is a fun day when you get your kids involve in baking Easter biscuits in the kitchen.Add in some chopped walnuts, cashew nuts or hazelnuts to make this festive biscuit crunchy and crispy.
- Rice Cooker Cake Recipe: Marble Cake With Almonds
Marble sponge cake is super easy to bake when I use my rice cooker. It is a mixture of chocolate and vanilla cake, very impressive pattern and super delicious!
- How to Bake Cherry Coconut Cake with a Rice Cooker
Cherry Coconut Cake is another great additions to my cake recipes. Desiccated coconut makes the cake heavier, compact and full of coconut flavor while the cherries are wonderful to bite for there are crunchy to me. A slice of cake and a cup of "Teh T
© 2014 peachy
More by this Author
Malaysian Burgers are street burgers, better than McD or KFC. They are cheaper, easy to prepare and tasty. RAMLI burger is the best burger in town with different flavor; beef, chicken or mutton
Celebrate St.Patrick's Day with easy Irish Stew from Martha Stewart. It is the easiest stew recipe I had every cooked. Just put everything inside the pot and simmer for 2 hours. Hearty and awesome.
Having trouble hunting for the best birthday card for your best friend? Have you consider making your own birthday card for him /her? Cute birthday cards signifies that your best buddy is cute, adorable and liked by...