Low Fat No-Cook Seviche Seafood Recipes For Turbot, Scallops, Tuna, Lobster and Other Delicacies
Seviche as a Style of Cooking
I was asleep one evening, taking a nap before a documentary show on television was to play. Forgetting to turn off the TV set first, I thought I was having a dream about alternative cooking on an island in outer space. However, I was overhearing a short outdoor cooking demonstration.
The next day, I set out to learn how to cook fish and shellfish without the benefit of 1) equipment and 2) heat energy.
This type of "cooking" is fish preparation with high-acid (low PH) materials such as lemon juice, lime juice, and vinegar. Trying out some of these techniques and ingredients myself,. I found that a white-fleshed fish and any shellfish seem to come out the best under these preparation techniques, culminating in the word
CEVICHE or SEVICHE [pronounced sa-VEE-chay] - A very old - 100s od years old - style of cooking from South America, used by Indigenous Peoples and passed down to 21st century top chefs. It is often used to produce a no-cook appetizer or salad, but can be used to prepare a main course of certain types of fish and shellfish. Some individuals are also adept at using it to prepare squid and octopus.
Mirriam-Webster Dictionaries added the word to its vocabulary in 1939 as an "American Spanish" derivative. Babel Fish translates the word ceviche forom Spanish to English as dish of marinated raw fish.
Possible Inventors of Seviche
South American Inca Tradition
In 2008, the cuisine of seviche/ceviche/cebiche (and there are additional spellings) has been traced back thus far to a region of land in Peru and Ecuador and each country argues that it produced the particular marinating process first.
It is thought that the Inca nation discovered the processes and they lived in both countries from time to time. The descendants of the Incas still live in these countries and still speak traditional language Quecha.
In the 21st century, each country in South America uses its own particular regional garnishes for seviche.
- Peru is known for its chefs that serve seviche with cold sliced sweet potatoes or with corn-on-the-cob.
- Ecuador serves seviche with bar food accompaniments of popcorn, nuts, and corn nuts.
- Mexico serves seviche with garnishes of raw onion slices, all in toasted tortillas.
Personally, I go the Mexican route and then add mixed lightly-salted nuts on the side and corn-on-the-cob.
Serves 6 as a Salad and 4 as an Entree --
Turbot is a firm light-fleshed fish, and I find that these types of fish marinate quickest and most thoroughly to become cooked by the acids in the another ingredients. it is still important to marinate the fish long enough - at least 6 hours. In some places, the first catch of the day is buried by the fishermen in a container of marinade in the sand on the beach and eaten for the midday meal 6 hours later.
- 1 Lb Turbot fillets
- 1 Large Onion and 2 Medium Tomatoes, all chopped coarse
- 1 Avocado, the flesh cubed
- 1 Cup Green Olives, 6 TBSP Olive Oil, 2 TBSP chopped Parsley
- 1 Cup Lime Juice, 1 Serrano Chile pepper, chopped fine
- 1 TBSP Catsup (spicy, if you like)
- 1 TBSP White Wine or Wine Vinegar or White Vinegar
- 2 Jalapeno, chopped fine, 2 oz Capers
- Shredded Lettuce, optional.
- Cut TURBO into cubes about 1 inch on a side if you wish, or just leave it leave whole or even halved.
- Marinate 6 hours or overnight in 1/2 cup of lime juice.
- Rinse Turbot in cold water lightly in a colander and let drain, then place in a large bowl with remainder of lime juice and other ingredients.
- If you wish, add salt and pepper to taste and then mix. Done!
- Serve with lime wedges and white tortila chips or toasted white tortillas.
- Shredded lettuce can also be added to create a sort of cold, refreshing summer or spring taco.
SERVES 6 as Salad or 4 as Entree.
- 1 Lb Scallops
- 1 Cup fresh lime juice - Bottled does not have enough ACID.
- Jalapenos, chopped fine; 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- ! Medium Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 TBSP chopped parsley
- ½ Cup Spanish onion, chopped
- Salt, pepper, and cilantro to taste
- 2 Large Tomatoes, washed, seeded, and chopped coarse
- Lime wedges
- Into a non-metal bowl (acid will eat metal away or at least gather metal flavors) place lime juice, jalapenos, garlic, yellow pepper, parsley, onion, and scallops. Toss lightly to coast
- Marinate scallops in the refrigerator 12 hours or longer, remembering to stir every couple for hours.
- One hour before serving, add tomatoes, cilantro and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with white corn tortilla chips or toasted flour tortillas and lime wedges.
A Universal Seviche Recipe
- 1½ LB (18 oz) Scallops, shrimps, lobster, crab, tuna, or other firm fish that will not fall apart
- ½ Cup Lemon juice and ½ Cup Lime juice [I use all lime juice]
- 1 chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 chopped and seeded Red chile pepper
- 2 Ribs chopped Celery, A handful Fresh chopped Parsley
- 2 TBSP fresh chopped Cilantro
- 1 Clove minced garlic, 2 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tsp Chili powder, ¼ tsp red ground pepper
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- Cut fish into cubes and put into non-metallic mixing bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix.
- Marinate for 6 - 8 hours in refrigerator; remove and serve chilled.
- Use accompaniments that you enjoy.
Seviche has become very popular since 1980 and is featured in many fine dining restaurants in America. The dish has become popular enough that it is being copied with "mock seviches" with vegetables.
In addition, some individuals have attempted to prepare service in a more speedy method, but the marination process really does take 6 hours or longer. Fast-food type of home prepared serviche is usually raw and may be unhealthy to eat.
S E V I C H E -- Two locations in Louisville KY.
Ceviche -- Tampa, Orlando, Sarasoto FL.
Lima's Taste Cevice Bar -- New York City.
Ceviche with Chef Bernie Matz
Seafood from Amazon
Just for Fun
What is the best way to spell "seviche" ?See results without voting
More by this Author
Australian Aboriginals have a cooking tradition all their own, most of their methods originating in and around outdoor fires. Boiling and barbecuing are fairly new for the wide variety and plant and animals foods...
Pickling Meat is a way of curing and preserving different types of meats and was developed before the days of refrigeration or easy access to ice to keep meats cold.
The early US Space Program was all male, but the USSR had a female cosmonaut. Since the 1950s, so many women have been involved in aerospace activities that they have their own museum in Ohio!