Shanghai Fried Chicken Recipe
This is my favorite Chinese fried chicken recipe. It's easy to make and of course tasty. This recipe does not require any breading or batter at all. The chicken is seasoned with Chinese style seasoning such as five spices powder, soy sauce and Sichuan peppercorn. In order to remove any unwanted gamey taste, the chicken is infused with ginger and rice wine.
There are three important step to make this Shanghai fried chicken: first marinate the chicken with the spices, second steam the chicken, then last fry it. The marinated chicken should be steamed for about 30 minutes or until cooked through. This is the secret how to make crispy but juicy fried chicken.
I prefer to use small broiler because it's simply tasty and need less time to cook. If you are using bigger size chicken, cut it into pieces before frying it. The frying process should be fast because you have cooked chicken.
What You Need
Serves 4 - 6
2 lbs chicken
1 piece of ginger, 1-inch, minced
3 spring onions, chopped
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp Chinese rice wine
1/8 tsp five spices powder
2 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
1/2 tsp salt
cooking oil for frying
How to Fix
- Clean and wash the chicken. Then pat it dry.
- In a small bowl, combine ginger, spring onions, soy sauce, Chinese rice wine, five spices powder, Sichuan peppercorn and salt.
- Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with five spices powder mixture. Let it rest for at least about 1 hour. The longer is better.
- Prepare a steamer. Put the chicken in the steamer and steam it over boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a dish and discard the seasoning. Dry it with paper towels.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok over high heat. Add the chicken and fry it at 350 F about 3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil. Drain.
- Cut the chicken into bite-seize pieces and serve immediately.
- Chinese Shrimp Toast Recipe
- Stir-Fried Garlicky Shanghai Bok Choy. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
How to prepare baby bok choy (Shanghai bok choy) with garlic. Extremely tasty and easy.
- Easy Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe. How to Make Easy Chinese Stir-Fry!
How to stir-fry tomatoes. Easy and healthy dish.
- Easy Chinese Noodle Salad Recipe (Liang Ban Mein)
More by this Author
Kroket Kentang (Indonesian Potato Croquette) Flickr by Ewan-M Kroket kentang is popular snack that Indonesian love to eat for it's savory, soft and creamy mashed potatoes. This kroket kentang (potato croquette) is a...
Flickr by Charles Haynes Dry-fried green beans topped with ground pork and spiced with Sichuan red hot chili. Serve this hearty dish with warm rice or noodles. This is a meal with simple ingredients but delicious,...
Baked BBQ Pork Bun Jason Lam If you are familiar with dim sum, you may know how delicious Chinese pork buns are. Pork buns can be steamed or baked. Char siu bao is steamed bun with bbq pork filling. The baked version...