Shortbread Cookie Recipes
To me it is just not Christmas until I have made Shortbread. My Grandmother made shortbread every Christmas and my first recipe is from her. I should add that she was from Paisley Scotland, so this recipe is genuine shortbread.
Cook and Prep Time When Using a Stand Mixer
Grandmas Shortbread Cookies
Ingredients for Grandmas Shortbread Recipe
- 1 pound of Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup (packed) icing sugar
- 4 cups of Flour
- Pre-heat oven to 275 degrees
- Beat and cream butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar and flour. Mix with your fingers (make sure your hands are clean) until all is well blended.
- Make into several balls and pat out on a floured counter top or wax paper.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to about ½ “ thick.
- Cut into shapes with cookie cutter. You can also make the dough into a pie shape and place it into a pie pan. Score a design into the shortbread pie.
- Bake in oven until set and very light brown. Every oven is different so time fluctuates. I just keep checking after about ten minutes.
- Remove shortbread cookies with a spatula, and set onto a cooling rack.
Refrigerate Dough and Easily Cut
Sometimes with this recipe I will make the dough into logs, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until the next day. Then I simply cut with a sharp knife into cookies and decorate with sprinkles, chocolate chips, or blended granulated sugar.
Every Kitchen Needs one of these!
Using a stand mixer for shortbread
This year I decided to try Grandmas Shortbread recipe using my stand mixer. It was so much easier than kneading and kneading with my hands, and with the time I saved I was able to make some peanut butter banana cookies for the dogs.
It's not Christmas Until I Make Shortbread Cookies
The next recipe comes from an old friend and these are very good!
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Pound of Butter
- 3 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 2 Tbs Granulated sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Blend one cup of sugar in blender for thirty seconds.
- Add the sugar to softened butter and cream until fluffy.
- Combine flour and rice flour, and beat into butter gradually.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- Add up to ½ more flour if needed.
- Press into a 15 x 9” cookie sheet.
- Score into bars with a sharp knife. Prick surface with a fork up and down the dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 Tbs of sugar.
- Bake to a golden brown, which takes 30-40 minutes.
- Cut along scored lines, cool and store in an airtight container. Makes 48 bars.
Three cookie sheets are better than one. These come in 3 sizes, are dishwasher safe, and they're non stick.
This next recipe is from my Aunts collection
- 1 Pound of Butter
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ cups Icing Sugar
- 1 ½ Tsp Vanilla
- ½ cup Corn Starch
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees
- Beat butter until white.
- Beat in all the following as you add it. Add sugar and cornstarch gradually. Add vanilla, and then add flour gradually.
- Drop by teaspoons onto un-greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12-18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool the cookies on a cooling rack.
- Makes 100 cookies.
Some years I make all three of these recipes if I have the time to do so. But not a year goes by that I do not make my Grandmothers Shortbread.
Thanks for visiting, and I hope that you enjoy these recipes. If you'd like to see more of my articles and recipes, please pop by my profile page.
More by this Author
An easy to follow recipe for chocolate pecan cherry zucchini bread. A delicious moist dessert bread to serve and enjoy or to take along to a family gathering.
Decadent cheesecake with easy to follow instructions. Serves 20 - 30 people.
In this easy to follow recipe I've added other ingredients to Zatarain's Jambalaya mix to make it go further and feed more people. Pictures included with recipe.