Shrimp In Tamarind Sauce (Tom Rang Me)
Asian cooking often makes use of tamarind concentrate/liquid for souring agent. It gives special unique tart and tangy flavors. This souring agent is widely used in Asian soups, curries, drinks and sauces. One of my favorite "tamarind" dishes is shrimp in tamarind sauce (Tom Rang Mae). This is a beautiful shrimp dish with harmonious symphony of sweet, sour, spicy and tangy flavors, a truly Vietnamese fare.
If you are new to tamarind ingredient and not sure on how to prepare tamarind liquid, here how to make it. The tamarind liquid is prepared by soaking the tamarind pulp in hot boiling water. You just need 8 oz of tamarind pulp and 2 cup of boiling water. Let it soak and soften for 30 minutes then mash it with spoon. Strain and discard any pulp. Tamarind liquid is ready to use or store it in the fridge. For your convenience, tamarind concentrate is available for purchase at oriental supermarket.
Here is how to make Vietnamese Tom Rang Me or shrimp in tamarind sauce. It's a quick and easy dish.
What You Need
2 lbs large shrimp, peeled, deveined
3 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup tamarind juice
2 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
1/2 tsp chili paste
2 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp minced onion
3 cilantro sprigs (garnish)
What You Need
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, tamarind juice, fish sauce, chili paste, chili sauce. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Taste the mixture and adjust the flavors if needed. Add more sugar, fish sauce or chili sauce or even water to dilute.
- Heat a wok over high heat. When hot, add onion and garlic. Stir-fry about 30 seconds or until fragrant and soft. Then add the shrimp. Stir-fry about 1 minute or until the shrimp have turned pink and half done.
- Pour in the sauce mixture. Stir to combine. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes over high heat or until the sauce is reduced. The sauce should be little bit thick.
- Remove from the heat. Transfer the shrimp to a serving platter. Garnish with cilantro sprigs. Serve it warm.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Low-Fat Vietnamese Braised Fish In Caramel Sauce Recipe (Ca Kho To)
- Vietnamese Baked Cassava Cake Recipe (Banh Khoai Mi)
- Vietnamese Pork Steamed Bun Recipe (Banh Bao)
- Grilled Banana With Sticky Rice Recipe (Chuoi Nuong)
- Shrimp In Caramel Sauce (Tom Kho)
- Vietnamese Banana Blossom Salad Recipe (Nom Hoa Chuoi)
Cooking Tips: How to Make Tamarind Liquid/Juice
More by this Author
How to make Vietnamese style Chinese BBQ pork. Free of coloring BBQ pork.
How to make sticky rice for breakfast or snack.
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.