Best Asian Soup Recipes: Chinese Shrimp, Spinach And Tofu Soup Recipe
Shrimp, Tofu and Spinach Soup
Some people shudder when they think of tofu but personally, I like it. I mostly love the healthy properties associated with it and as long as it is in something else such as a soup or a smoothie, it works for me!
This is actually an adaptation of the Chinese spinach and tofu soup as Bob could not 'stomach' just the tofu and spinach; however, with the shrimp added, even he found it very palatable. (Of course, Bob can spot tofu from a mile away no matter what dish I put it in)
It is one of those could not be easier to make soups and when you are looking for either a light first course to an Asian meal (or any meal) or a lighter than usual supper, this is the ticket.
RECIPE FOR SHRIMP, TOFU AND SPINACH SOUP
This serves 4 (unless you are at my house, then it serves 5 as Bob will gladly give up some)
- Large peeled shrimp or medium-sized peeled shrimp (I add anywhere between 10-20 depending on the size) If uncooked shrimp, make sure you cook until pink in color
- 3-inch block fresh tofu – firm preferred
- 1/2 bunch fresh, washed spinach (or watercress or lettuce)
- 3 cups chicken broth (can substitute vegetable or beef)
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Matchstick carrots (optional)
- Green onions (optional)
- Cut tofu into 12 small pieces each about 1/4 inch thick.
- Tear spinach or cut into small pieces.
- Bring the broth to rolling boil in wok.
- Add tofu, shrimp and soy sauce. Add other ingredients except green onions if using.
- Bring back to boil and simmer for about 2 minutes
- Add spinach and simmer for another minute.
- Skim the surface to make broth clear, adjust seasoning and serve immediately.
More by this Author
Now if you are looking for something traditionally Canadian, here is your recipe (followed by Canadian blueberry dessert below). This pork pie was traditionally a holiday pie served following Midnight Mass on...
Making Chinese egg rolls is a snap if you know a few tricks and tips. Learn how to make the best Chinese egg rolls right at home.
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...