Sichuan Sliced Chicken Breast Salad (Pong-pong Chicken)
Sichuan Style Hacked Chicken Breasts
Sichuan Style Hacked Chicken Breast
When you say "hacked chicken breast" you usually mean that the breasts are cooked, cut into slices and served at room temperature with a sauce poured over them. These breasts are poached, sliced and laid out on a bed of sliced cucumbers and shredded scallions.
Since this recipe is Sichuan style, they are then sprinkled with minced ginger, garlic, flower peppercorn powder and crushed peanuts. Finally, everything is covered with a spicy sauce made with peanut butter, soy sauce, chili oil, sesame seed oil and vinegar.
Served at room temperature, this dish would make an excellent lunch on a warm day or even on a cold day.
4 Split Chicken Breast Halves with the skin and bones
1/3 Cup Uncooked Skinless Peanuts
1 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Small English Cucumber thinly sliced including the skin
4 Scallions cut into 1-1/2 inch lengths and then split in quarters lengthwise
1 Tablespoon minced Ginger Root
1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
¼ Teaspoon Flower Peppercorn Powder
3 Tablespoons cream style peanut butter
3 tablespoons Black Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons Chinese Red Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Sesame Seed Oil
2 Teaspoons of Sugar
1 Tablespoon of Chili Oil
2 Teaspoons Dry White Wine
- Place the chicken breasts in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about ten minutes until they are just done.
- Drain the water of and when they are cool, bone them and remove the skin also if you prefer.
- Deep-fry the peanuts in the oil until they are golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon to some paper towels and when they are cool, place them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- Arrange the cucumber slices on a large platter and spread half of the scallion shreds over them.
- Slice the chicken breasts crosswise ¼ inch thick and spread them attractively over the cucumber –scallion slices. Sprinkle them with the chopped ginger, garlic, flower peppercorn powder and crushed peanuts.
- Then evenly pour the sauce mixture over the chicken slices and sprinkle with the remaining scallion shreds.
- Lightly toss the ingredients before serving at room temperature.
Poached Chicken Breasts
Sichuan Hacked Chicken
- Szechuan Hacked Chicken « onioncloute
The pursuit of a healthy, low-cholesterol diet continues with some degree of success! We’re on the third week of our plan, and both Mr. Ganz and myself are settling in nicely to lighter dinners and more plant-based snacks. I’ve come up with a little
Links to other Chinese recipes by rjsadowski
- Hunan Spicey Stir-fried Scallops (Lake Dongting Scal...
Lake Dongting,in norteastern Hunan province, is the second largest fresh water lake in China. This recipe for preparing scallops has a delicious sauce made with mandarin orange peel, chili peppers, ketchup, black soy sauce, garlic and ginger. The sca
- Hunan Spiced Beef Shreds (Stir-fry Beef in Chili-oil...
This recipe from Hunan provence, calls for marinating matchstick strips of flank steak and then briefly deep frying them. Water chestnuts and cloud ears are then stir-fried with ginger, garlic and scallions. Finally, sauce made from ground bean sauce
- Hunan Chicken & Broccoli in Ginger Wine Sauce (Gener...
Named after General Tso Tsung-tang, this dish was either created by a Hunan chef in Taiwan or by Chinese chefs in New York City. Either way, it is still one of the most popular Hunan dishes in America. Made with crispy boneless chicken in a spicy sau
- Hunan Style Sliced Leg of Lamb (Chinese Stir-fry)
Lamb is not eaten in China anywhere near as often as pork, chicken or beef but here is a recipe from Hunan that uses it. Marinated in soy sauce, cornstarch and sesame seed oil, it is stir-fried with ginger, garlic, scallions and chili peppers. The sa
- Chicken and Walnuts in Hot Bean Sauce
This Chinese stir-fry combines chunks of chicken breasts with Chinese mushrooms, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots and red bell pepper in a hot bean sauce which is finished with fried walnuts. The hot bean sauce is actually a combination of ground bean
- Chinese Velvet Chicken Lo Mein (Tossed Noodles)
- Chinese Broccoli in Ginger and Wine Sauce Stir-fry
The Chinese say that broccoli loves the company of wine and sugar and this recipe proves it. While it was originally intended for Chinese broccoli, you can use the regular broccoli that you find in your supermarket. You can also modify it by adding w
- Stir-fried Baby Corn and Broccoli in Oyster Sauce
Broccoli and baby corn go well together, particularly when they are combined with oyster sauce, seasame seed oil and Chinese mushrooms. i also like to add sliced water chestnuts to give the dish a little crunch. This dish is hearty enough to be serve
- Sichuan Spicy Beef Stew (Chinese Comfort Food)
Sichuan has more beef dishes than most other Chinese provences and their spicy beef stew is considered to be comfort food. Made with star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and chili bean sauce it is slowly simmered until you get a tasty, spicy but not too h
Chengdu, Capital of Sichuan Provence
Chengdu - The Capital of Sichuan Provence
More by this Author
Sichuan has more beef dishes than most other Chinese provences and their spicy beef stew is considered to be comfort food. Made with star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and chili bean sauce it is slowly simmered until you...
Broccoli and baby corn go well together, particularly when they are combined with oyster sauce, seasame seed oil and Chinese mushrooms. i also like to add sliced water chestnuts to give the dish a little crunch. This...
How to make my mother's homemade potato dumplings with bacon and onions (we just called them kluski). You literaly can't stop eating them. Grated potatoes are mixed with flour and a little salt and dropped with a spoon...