Simple Delicious White Cake
Easy White Cake
I suppose when all is said and done this is not truly a white cake - white cakes should be snowy white, and this is commonly achieved simply by ommitting the egg yolks, and volume is typically achieved through folding beaten egg-whites into your batter. This cake however, is very, really pale and it is so extremely delightful and moist you truly won't care.
This dessert couples well with a variety of frostings, and perhaps even better, will take to changes in extracts perfectly. Almond is delightful, as is orange, lemon or lime extracts. I've also made this with cream in place of half and half and 1 1/2 cups of chocolate sandwich cookies in the batter, and with a white buttercream decorated with loads of the cookies whole (that's my Ricky's preferred). Try each combination. It's really a delightful way to process a number of experiments!
Easy White Cake
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/8 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 cup half & half
How to Make Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Using butter, butter and flour 3 9-inch round cake pans.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer on moderate speed, cream together the butter and sugar. Don't skimp out on this step - one of the secrets to the final texture of this particular cake is to totally cream the butter and white sugar together - up to ten minutes is probably great.
- Add the eggs separately, beating really well after each one. Clean down the sides of the bowl while you work.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking soda well. Add flour to the butter and white sugar and mix well.
- Mix batter until very smooth. Pour batter into prepared pans, dividing equally.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. When done the center of the cake will be lightly golden and also the middle will spring back to the touch. A cake tester or skewer placed in to the center will come away totally clean.
- Allow cakes to cool down within their pans for ten minutes, then turn them out onto wire racks for cooling entirely before icing.
You May Also Like:
- Layer Cakes
Layer Cakes! The very best recipes for layer cakes anywhere. Beautifully homemade, simple and delicious layer cakes. If you are looking for a recipe for layer cake - start here. If you have a layer cake recipe, share it!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!
More by this Author
A classic from your childhood, or a favorite of today. Yellow cake with chocolate frosting made from scratch.
This particular beautiful pink bombshell really should be made no earlier than June - wait for the real, homegrown strawberries to make their appearance before making this. You can certainly do it at other times of the...
Cast iron is wonderful stuff, but it does take some extra care and knowhow to keep it at its best. Here's all you need to know about maintaining its non-stick luster.