Simple, Quick and Healthy One Person Meal Recipe: Vegetarian Chili
Simple, quick and healthy
I discovered simple, quick and healthy cooking through necessity. As a teacher, it is easy to find myself buried in unhealthy food with no time to cook. The trick for me has been finding tasty and fast meals. Though I am not vegetarian, I have fallen in love with tofu alternatives. Alternatives such as soy crumbles are easy and fast. I also like the texture and flavor. Give it a try to you might find a way of eating that keeps you as happy and healthy as I am.
Types of Chili Recipes
There are many different types of chili and it is good to know them in order to make your own chili recipes. My recipe is a vegetarian recipe which simply means it contains no meat. Here is an overview of other types of chili:
· Texas style chili: Believed to be the oldest style of chili, Texas chili is meaty and does not contain beans. One theory was that chili developed from cowboy culture in the 1840s. Another thought was that it came from Texas prisons.
· Cincinnati-style chili: Another no-bean chili, this recipe includes ingredients such as ground cloves, cinnamon and cumin.
· Mexican chili: Mexican style chili is very spicy and is often served over spaghetti or other noodles.
- 4 oz Kidney Beans (canned, cooked)
- 4 oz Soy Crumbles
- 8oz Frozen Peppers
- 1 can (14 oz) Canned Tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons (or more...to taste) Chili Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp (optional) Salt
Soy crumbles are a soy alternative to ground beef. They take on flavor and seasonings delightfully and have a chewy texture. Soy crumbles can be used in any recipe in place of ground beef or turkey. As a bonus, they are already cooked which means they can be easily thrown into a soup or sautéed. My favorite is made by Morning Star and can be purchased in Targets nationwide.
Canned Kidney Beans
Beans are another healthy protein. A member of the legume family, kidney beans are dark red, shaped like a kidney and also called chili beans. Buying them canned makes them a simple ingredient. Again, this protein takes seasoning well.
Frozen Peppers are an easy way to brighten and flavor a meal. In this chili they really shine and the best part? All you have to do is add and stir!
Canned tomatoes are precooked and diced. When making chili, they create an easy base. My preference when making chili, is a Spicy Pepper flavored diced can of tomatoes.
The seasoning for this chili are very basic. It does not take a lot of money to buy simple spices. I often buy store brand seasoings to cut costs. Garlic powder, onion powder, chili, salt and pepper are probably already in your cabnet.
- Open the can of tomatoes and simmer on the stove. Add seasonings.
- Mix in soy crumbles and stir for about 5 minutes.
- Add in frozen peppers and stir for 5 minutes.
- When all ingredients are cooked, add in beans.
- Stir and simmer all ingredients. Taste and add more seasonings if desired.
- The Official Website of the 31st Annual Malibu Kiwanis Chili Cook-Off
- One of the most famous chili cookoffs takes place in Texas
Chili is a well known food throughout the world. There are many varieties of chili to make and choose to eat. There are more chili recipes to choose from than...
- ICS | International Chili Society
International Chili Society is the the best place for information on Chili, Chili Verde, Salsa, Chili Cookoffs and recipes. Message boards about different chili and cookoffs from the chili and fiery foods industry.
- Sunset Beach Chili Cook Off | Sunset Beach California Events
Sunset Beach video of the annual Sunset Beach Chili Cook-off provides the local flavor for this tasty event.
Famous Chili Cookoffs
Chili competitions are held around the United States around the year. Here are five of the most famous chili cookoffs:
- World Chili Cookoff Championship: This is one of the most famous cookoffs with a grand prize of $25,000. It takes place each year in Omaha, Nebraska
- Bottle Hill Chili Cookoff: This famous cookoff takes place in Texas each year.
- Sunset Beach Chili Cookoff: A relatively new chili cookoff, this competition brings chili to the west coast each September.
- The Atlanta Chili Cookoff: Also held in September, this cookoff has been going strong since 1979 and is sponspored by Miller Lite Beer.
- Malibu Kiwanis Chili Cookoff: Held in Malibu, this cookoff includes a carnival and fair!
More by this Author
graur codrin What do you think of when you hear the term “napping”? Most people immediately think of children. But what about adults that nap? Though there are many misconceptions about adults that nap, it...
Ambro Are you: · Feeling like you want to crawl back into bed by lunchtime? · Tired throughout the day even when you sleep 6-8 hours regularly? · Concerned about how excessively tired you feel? In a world of...
KrystalD Breaking up is a lot like experiencing a death. You have lost someone. Even if you were the “dumper” versus the “dumpee” breaking up is not an easy process. Yet, it is a road that most...