Simple Rum Raisin Recipe
I am a die hard rum raisin ice cream lover! But the prices of a good brand of rum raisin ice cream is ridiculous. So i started thinking of how my mom used to soak fruit in rum for her fruit cake! She usually used dark rum but it doesn't really matter, if it is dark or white.
Nowadays with all the flavored rums one can experiment, but i tend to stick to the simple flavor of 'plain ole' rum.
Making your own rum raisin is a simple basic recipe. You can use it as a garnish or mixed into whatever simple creamy dessert you love. But beware your rum raisin using real rum is more potent than using rum extract, so you may want to fiddle with the recipe to find what you like best.
Rum raisin Recipe
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of rum
- 2/3 tbsp brown sugar
- optional, 1 tsp vanilla
- glass bowl or jars with tight lids
- spoon, for mixing
- dark space like pantry
- plastic or paper bag
What to do
- Place raisins in your clean bowl or jar
- Cover with rum, toss with spoon
- Add brown sugar, and vanilla
- Put on the lid, wrap in the bag
- Place in the dark space or pantry
- Leave for several hours or even over night before using
- Cooking rum raisin mix in some butter until heated through.
- Allow to cool, then add to glass bowl or jar with lid
How to use
Garnish, pour over vanilla ice cream, heavy whipped cream, bread pudding and even a plain vanilla or yellow cake.
Homemade rum raisin ice cream
1/2 cup vanilla ice cream
2 / 3 tbsp of rum raisin
What to do
- Mix the raisins into the softened ice cream, in a freezer proof cup or container.
- Add to the freezer for a few hours until frozen
Simply beautiful and easy to do and so much cheaper than buying if you make your own, so you can enjoy your own homemade rum raisin.
- Bourbon Or Rum) Raisins Recipe - Food.com - 120760
VelvetineNut asked me to post this-it's hardly a recipe and the quantities listed are estimates. The result is wonderful-plump juicy raisins that add incredible flavor to cakes, cookies, fudge, bread pudding, etc. And, there's a bonus-the resulting s
- Rum Raisin Bread Pudding Recipe : Patrick and Gina Neely : Recipes : Food Network
Get this all-star, easy-to-follow Food Network Rum Raisin Bread Pudding recipe from Patrick and Gina Neely.
- Recipe - Recipe - Rum-Raisin Cake - NYTimes.com
A recipe for Rum-Raisin Cake.
- Easy Rum Raisin Ice Cream Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Start this rum-flavored ice cream the day before by steeping raisins and dark rum overnight. Then just mix with purchased ice cream and a hint of nutmeg, and refreeze for a grown-up ice cream treat.
More by this Author
What is Meringue powder? You may ask in disgust especially if you are holding the can in your hand. But have you ever really read the ingredients listed on the back of your favorite store bought icing. Ever wonder why...
A Guava is a favorite fruit of the Bahamians, of the Bahamas and of it's people. Tourists that have been privileged to partake of the Bahamian desserts using Guava become fans as well. Being a Bahama Mama myself,...
Growing up in the Bahamas really was an awesome experience looking back as an adult. Through local fare we experienced the best that the world has to offer in exotic fruits although it was not exotic to the child that...
No comments yet.