Cauliflower Soup Recipe: Simple and Delicious
Hearty Soup on a Cold Day
There's nothing better than a big bowl of hearty soup on a cold day. One of my family's favorites is my Cauliflower Soup. It's easy to make, not too many ingredients, healthy and inexpensive too.
And the best thing is, it warms you to the bottom of your toes.
Health Benefits of Cauliflower: A Cruciferous Vegetable
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that you may wish to add to your regular diet. It is in the same plant family as cabbage, collards, kale and broccoli. There are wonderful health benefits provided by this vegetable family including:
The antioxidants found in cauliflower help protect us from diseases such as cardiovascular disease and cancer.
High amounts of Vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids are found in cauliflower that helps to decrease inflammation and the risk of diseases such as diabetes mellitus, colitis, inflammatory bowel disease and arthritis.
Since cauliflower has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, consumption will help protect against cardiovascular diseases as well.
The fiber in cauliflower helps clean our digestive system and helps rid our system of unnecessary substances. In addition, glucoraphin, a substance present in cauliflower is known to have a protective effect on our stomach lining. This will help reduce the risk for stomach ulcers and cancer.
Cauliflower Soup Ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into chunks
- 5 cups chicken bouillon, or canned chicken stock (use vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice
- 1/4 cup celery, cut into chunks
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 8-10 servings
Immersion hand blenders are perfect for this soup!
Cauliflower Soup Instructions
- In a medium size soup pot, add 5 cups chicken bouillon.
- Begin to heat the liquid as you add the cauliflower, rice and celery.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a blender, puree everything from the soup pot. (Note: You made need to add more water.)
- Return mixture to the soup pot and leave on low heat.
- Add butter.
- Add flour to the cup of cold milk and mix with a fork. Add to the soup pot and stir thoroughly.
- Taste. Add salt and pepper as desired.
- Heat soup slowly to desired temperature. (Note: Warming on too high of a heat will cause the soup to stick and possibly burn on the bottom of the pot.)
- Serve hot topped with shredded cheddar cheese. If you would rather not use the cheese, simply top with fresh ground pepper.
Please rate this recipe?
Cauliflower Soup Photo Gallery
Below is a photo gallery to help make this recipe even easier. I hope you will enjoy!
Thank you so much for stopping by. I hope you enjoy this recipe and all the benefits of adding cauliflower to your diet.
This is Sharyn's Slant
More by this Author
This hearty soup is extremely delicious and very healthy too. Here, you will find the recipe plus interesting information about split peas and their health benefits.
I love duplicating recipes that my mom or grandma made while I was growing up. Here is one you won't want to miss: Ham and Bean Soup with Dumplings.
The words you write on a bridal shower card should be heartfelt and meaningful because they will be cherished for many years to come.