Slow Cooked Pulled Pork With Barbecue Sauce Recipe
Please rate this recipe and let me know what you think!
American Style Cooking
On my last visit to the States, I was fortunate enough to find myself in Florida and had the good fortune to eat at a restaurant one evening (the name escapes me, it was an 'emergency' meal, we were starving and hadn't made a reservation) which had the oddly named 'pulled pork sandwich' on its menu.
Initially, I was not enthralled by the sound of this dish -what on earth was 'pulled pork'.
I have eaten pork ribs in the states (yummy) and also pork chops (also yummy) but pulled pork? It was a new one on me so I asked the waitress what it was.
Her description of slow cooked shoulder of pork cooked for 'a loooonnnngggggg time' which is then pulled apart because it is so tender and moist had my husband, daughter and I salivating.
There was no choice but the pulled pork sandwich - we sat there intrigued to see it.
We were not disappointed - when it arrived, it was in a soft white bun, lightly sauced with barbecue flavourings and stood about six inches tall.
Well folks, I didn't know whether to eat it or climb it!
So glad I ate it!
Which brings me here - can I replicate this North American gastronomic masterpiece in my humble English kitchen?
Let's see! I have a great site to thank for the recipe -and Wikipedia tells me that the version I am cooking is the North Carolina area version.
- 2lbs/1kg Pork Shoulder
- three quarters cup Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Soft, brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chillies
- 1 tablespoon savoury seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- bread buns
- Lie the pork shoulder joint in your slow cooker in readiness for the cooking licquor
- Mix together the cider vinegar, chilli flakes, sugar, salt, pepper, seasoning salt and garlic in a bowl. Stir until combined and pour over the pork shoulder joint.
- Put the slow cooker on HIGH and cook for about 6 hours. Try not to lift the lid too often and don't worry, the liquor should not evaporate.
- After 6 hours take out the pork and lie on a serving plate. Remove the excess fat from the joint.
- Using two forks, start to tear the pork apart from the centre. The pork by this time should be extremely tender and should pull apart fairly easily. Continue pulling until the joint is completely shredded.
- There will be some cooking licquor left over in the slow cooker. The North Carolina recipe is quite tangy due to the cider vinegar, you may like it that way, if so just add enough to the prepared pulled pork to moisten it further.
- If you prefer it less tangy, mix some barbecue sauce in with the licquor. This will take the tangy edge off it. I used Levi Roots Jerk BBQ Sauce but any proprietary (or home made) sauce will do. If you like, just use the sauce and not the licquor, the pork is flavoured with it anyway so nothing is lost in just using bbq sauce on its own.
- Cut open the buns and pile 'em high with pork.
- Serve with mixed salad or fries or seasoned potato wedges - whatever you like really, I bet you don't have room in your tummy for it! Enjoy it!
|Serving size: 6oz pork plus bun and sauce|
|Calories from Fat||126|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 14 g||22%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Unsaturated fat 6 g|
|Carbohydrates 58 g||19%|
|Sugar 13 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 48 g||96%|
|Cholesterol 154 mg||51%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
How to make the ultimate baked potato in 30 minutes with cheese, beans and Jalapenos with absolutely no cooking skills whatsoever. The ultimate baked potato has taste, style and nutrition and all for about $2.50.
How to make chilli jam. Nando's chilli jam costs about $1 a pop. You can make chilli jam at home for a fraction of the cost, chilli jam as hot and spicy or sweet and mild as you want.
Thomas More's Utopia was humanism in renaissance literature. How much was More influenced by the Renaissance? Like other humanists in the Renaissance, he looked to the future influenced by the past.