Slow Cooked Sausage And Bean Stew
If you find yourself without much time to cook, yet would still like a home cooked meal, then this easy to make Sausage and Bean Stew should satisfy your taste buds.
Prepared in a slow cooker, it can easily be made in the morning and left to cook for the day.
Even those with little cooking skills or experience will surprise themselves (and others) at being able to make a great evening meal for yourself and the family.
Come home after a busy day, to the gorgeous smell of the food filling the house, knowing you do not need to do any cooking, as the meal is pretty much ready to serve.
- 8 Pork Sausages
- 1 Can Baked Beans
- 1 Can Mixed Beans
- 2 Cups Water
- 1 Teasoon Cumin
- 1 Teasoon Garlic
- 1 Teasoon Smoked Sweet Paprika
- 1 Teasoon Powdered Mustard
- 1 Teasoon Powdered Ginger
- 1 Dessert Spoon Soya Sauce
- 1 Dessert Spoon White Wine Vinegar
- 1 Dessert Spoon Sugar
- A Pinch Chilli Powder
- A Squeeze BBQ Sauce
- 1 Dessert Spoon Tinned Mango Juice, (You can use more spoonfuls for added flavour)
- Small Handful Sage and Onion Stuffing Mix
- Half Onion, (optional)
- 4 Slices Bacon, (optional)
- 1 Spoon Cooking Oil, (optional)
The Benefits of a Slow Cooker
Slow cookers make cooking easy, and can be left to cook the food for many hours, without you needing to spend time in the kitchen.
They require little cooking skill to use, as it's often simply a matter of throwing in the necessary ingredients, giving them a stir, then leaving the slow cooker to do the rest.
Through the day, the gorgeous smell of the cooking fills the house. This can be very welcoming when arriving home after a long days work.
As the food cooks slowly, the ingredients have time to properly flavour the mixture.
There is often less cleaning afterwards. Instead of a bunch of pots and pans, there is just the one dish to clean.
Do You prefer to use a Slow Cooker to prepare your meals?See results without voting
- Boil the water (on the stove or in a kettle)
- Slice up the half onion and cut the Bacon slices into smaller pieces. Fry these for a few minutes in a frying pan in a small amount of cooking oil on the stove. These are optional extras for your stew, so you can leave out this step if preferred.
- Add the 2 cups of boiled water, sausages, baked beans, mixed beans and the fried onion / bacon mix (from step 2) into the Slow Cooker.
- Add the Cumin, Garlic Powder, Smoked Sweet Paprika, Powdered Mustard, Powdered Ginger, Soya Sauce, White Wine Vinegar, Sugar, Chilli Powder, BBQ Sauce and Mango Juice into the Slow Cooker
- Stir the ingredients together
- Turn the Slow cooker to Low and leave to cook for around 6-8 hours
- If possible, occasionally stir the ingredients during the cooking time.
- You may want to add in more Mango Juice for extra flavour, according to your personal tastes
- Shortly before serving add in a small handful of Sage and Onion Stuffing Mix. This acts as a thickening agent for the mixture, as well as adding extra flavour
- Serve the dish with either Mashed Potatoes or Rice
- Enjoy your meal, and go back for seconds if required.
More by this Author
How to play Minor and Seventh Chords on the Guitar, including finger positioning, diagrams and explanation of music theory
If you have ever found yourself staring at a blank screen, unable to come up with the words to fill it, you may have experienced writer's block. Discover ways to overcome this loss of inspiration
In the previous article, we discussed some important principles that you, the new guitarist, needs to keep in mind as you step out to learn the guitar. In this article we will build upon those principles and begin to...