Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu
During my uncle's wedding reception, several different options were served, but my grandmother had ordered the only thing which appealed to her, Chicken Cordon Bleu. Immediately, she begin talking about how amazing the meal was, and could not believe how it tasted. Well, Knowing that I was unable to taste the meal (I do not eat any form of pork, and this had ham in it) I knew I would have ot begin my own search to replicate a meal that was similar, yet allowed me to abide by my own convictions regarding pork.
This exploration led me to test the use of turkey in place of the ham, and began solely as a baking attempt to recreate the flavor my grandmother loved. Within a few weeks, I had discovered that as long as I purchased the organic, thick chicken breasts and utilzed turkey, swiss or provolone cheese, as well as the well as the italian seasoned bread crumbs I could create a close replication, and still not sacrifice an excellent meal despite my own preferences.
Once I began this, I would then begin the attempts to recreate the same meal via a slow cooker so that I could prepare a meal for family get-togethers when I would want to make the same, but may not have the opportunity to cook from an oven becaus of time or restrictions.
The eventual success would be once again the result of combining several different recipes to arrive at the perfect replication for the purposes I had in mind. There are also other options that I will gladly explain once I provide the initial, basic recipe. I truly hope others enjoy this recipe as much as my family and I now do. The alternatives will be available in the conclusion!
- 6 thick boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, (or can use cream of celery soup)
- 1 c. milk
- 12 deli sliced oven roasted turkey breasts sandwich meat
- 6 slices swiss cheese (or provolone cheese), halved
- 1 pkg. herbed seasoning mix, (can use about 2-3 cups of italian seasoned bread crumbs, but the seasoning mix is better)
- 1/4 c. butter, melted
- In small bowl, mix together the soup and milk.
- Pour enough of the soup mixture to cover the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Open the butterflied aspects of the chicken and insert two of the deli slices of the turkey, and the cheese. (Though you have the cheese, add both halves in the chicken).
- Repeat this process with the remaining five pieces of chicken.
- Pour the remaining soup mixture over top of the chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the package of the herbed seasoning over top. (Can use a thick layer of bread crumbs).
- Drizzle the butter over top of the herbed seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
This meal is complimented well by herb roasted potatoes, french bread, broccoli casserole, and sauteed vegetables. The only thing to remember that you do not need to use a ton of herbs.
As a huge fan of broccoli, one of the alternatives I have fallen in love with when preparing this meal is to steam some broccoli flowerettes, chopped the flowerettes and stuff into the inside of the chicken with the deli sliced meat and cheese. This adds one of my favorite flavors.
Another similar option is to use spinach: rinse and clean the spinach and stuff as another layer with the deli sandwich meat and the cheese. Please note, it is unnecessary to steam the spinach when utilizing this option, it will cook!
These are the only two I have tried several times, but I am sure there are tons of other options, and always welcome any suggestions to try, but as a huge fan of both broccoli and spinach, these have been my favorites. not only this, but these are also the ones which have recieved excellent comments and encouragement.
Also, if you want to decrease the cook time, you have two options: (1) Cook on high for 3 hours or (2) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, and instead of the stuffing, roll the stuffed chicken breasts in bread crumbs and bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the chicken is baked through!
More by this Author
Since our family does not eat pork, this is an excellent substitute to enjoy for a BBQ sandwich, can even add some coleslaw or any of your favorite additions to make it your favorite!
I absolutely love chicken and dumplings. Unfortunately, I normally don't have the time to stand over an oven all day. At least with a crock pot, I can enjoy one of my favorite meals!
Finding an amazing lamb ribs recipe was difficult, but am absolutely in love with this one! It is amazing! Probably would work with other rib recipes, but since we have lamb, this is my choice!