Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Experimental Lentil recipe big hit
I discovered lentils recently. I had heard they were real nutritious (see health information link).The only lentils I had ever eaten was Anne's gourmet Lentil soup. Four bucks a can is too much though. So I just kind of threw stuff in the crock pot and served it at church for our community lunch. I have added some optional ingredients to make it your own. Bon Appétit!
Nutritional Information on Lentils
- Nutritional Information For Lentils | LIVESTRONG.COM
Nutritional Information For Lentils. Lentils are part of the legume family because they grow in pods. They come in three colors: brown, green and red.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion of choice, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1 - 1lb bag lentils, (your choice on variety)
- 1 box organic vegetable broth
- 1 - 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, (fresh is best if you have it)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen vegetables, (I used spinach, carrots, and a little broccoli)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella, (Get creative. You can try cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc).
- 1 teaspoon cumin, (add more if you need to during the cooking process)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chilli powder, (add more if you need to during cooking process)
- 1 - 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, (this will not be added until the last 1/2 hour
- any other fresh or frozen vegetables that you think might go well
For spicier or heat: red pepper flakes, any variety of hot chile peppers, diced green chiles, jalepenos, hot sauce.
Seasonings: Italian seasoning, bay leaves, rosemary, italian parsely.
More comfort food recipes by lambservant
- Chicken and Rice Recipe: Good Comfort Food
Another great comfort food recipe. Chicken and rice makes a great family or potluck meal.
- Tuna Italian Casserole
If you love good comfort food, this Italian tuna casserole will fulfill your comfort needs
- Italian Tomato Herbed Chicken: Oh So Yummy
This recipe will melt in your mouth. A simple green salad and warm bread will compliment this delectable dish. Bon Appetit!
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic first, then add chopped onion, celery, and peppers, cooking until crispy/tender.
- Combine this with remaining ingredients (except spinach and cheese) in large crock pot.
- Cook on hihighhours or low 2 hours.
- Throw in spinach in the last 30 minutes.
- Garnish with mozzarella or other cheese of your choice.
- You can serve it as is or pour it over rice or noodles.
© Lori Colb 2013. All rights reserved.
More by this Author
Food labels can be very deceptive. Ingredients can be disgusting. Instructions can be silly. Marketing is ridiculous. Read labels and see for yourself!
If you love brussels sprouts and are looking for a new way to cook them, try this out. To die for.
Support groups can be a helpful tool for people experiencing a difficult life struggle. Here are some things to look for in a good support group.