Slow Cooker Turkey Chops and Apples
An Amazing Autumn Dish
When the weather gets cooler, the one thing I look forward to is any recipe that has a touch of apple to it. This recipe definitely does not disappoint. While I am sure it would be just as good with pork chops, I created this using the replacement of turkey chops/breasts/tenderloin. The key is to make sure that the turkey is not packaged in a marinade. While this works well if you are looking for a quick meal, it does reduce the amazing flavor and flair of this dish.
Being from the south, I am found of baked apples and with only one other person in our home who eats baked apples, I normally cannot find a way to work them into a meal. Fortunately, this recipe fixes that issue and allows me to create amazing turkey chos that everyone loves and also have some baked apples on my own, or to the side. The apples just provide an amazing flavor that enhances the meal. And as with all slow cooker recipes, the aromas filling your home when this is baking will bring back memories of grandma's home-made apple pie.... Something you may want to cook with it if the time permits!
- 8 turkey chops/breasts/tenderloi slices
- 6 apples, sliced or diced, (I use a combination of granny smith and fuji)
- 1 1/2 c. apple cider, (I have substituted apple juice, but cider is better)
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/8 c. brown sugar
- Wash and either chop or dice the apples, leaving the peeling on.
- Lightly spray the slow cooker, or line with liner.
- Place apples in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Put the turkey chops on top of the apples.
- In a saucepan on simmer, combine the honey, cinnamon, apple cider, brown sugar until well mixed. Do not turn into a glaze, that is what the slow cooker is for!
- Pour the mixture over top the chops and apples.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, depending on the slow cooker.
What to serve with the dish
Okay, since you already have the apples, minus a side of biscuits, not a lot more to add to it; unless you are like me and most of the family will not eat the apples that are lining the bottom. In this case, add some type of simple potatoes, rice, sauteed carrots, corn on the cob, or even some honey mustard veggies. It is up to you. Just remember, the turkey will be a little sweet because of the sauce and apples, so do not add a sweet side. It becomes overpowering and takes away from this beautiful meal.
I know that normally my family likes the twice baked potatoes, corn on the cob, and my Sprite Biscuits. These all seem to refrain from adding anything seet to the dish and allows it to remain a center focal point for the meal!
More by this Author
Many people have told me they prefer pork chops, until they have this meal one time at my home! It is amazing, and tastes wonderful!
Savory herbs and a few veggies are sure to make this a quick all around meal that needs not additions! It has wonderful texture and flavor that will leave your family asking for more!
Finding an amazing lamb ribs recipe was difficult, but am absolutely in love with this one! It is amazing! Probably would work with other rib recipes, but since we have lamb, this is my choice!