Slow cooker BBQ Chicken Pizza
Just a taste...
Just a few side notes
These are just a couple of quick bits I want to add in so you know if this recipe may be just the thing you are looking for:
- A simple meal with little prep time and requiring little attention
- Lots of flavor
- If you are watching carbs, then this is NOT something you want to consider
- Sure, you can probably do the same without a slow cooker, but please remember, I had frozen chicken and I knew it would not thaw by the time I would need to begin cooking
- The final steps will require about 10-15 minutes baking
- You will have about 20-25 minutes total in prepping, depending on your own speed in the kitchen
What's for dinner?
I am a full-time student, work full-time as a recruiter from home, co-owner in a soap and lip balm company with my husband, and am the one person responsible for coming up with dinner to feed our family of four each night. As you can imagine, I a rather busy and sometimes, things can become overwhelming. That's when I hear the dreaded question "What's for dinner?"
So, this recipe was discovered earlier when I was in a tight spot. I go to school online, and despite what some may think, doing this full-time can sometimes prove to be overwhelming, especially during finals. It was on such an occassion that I would oversleep one morning, almost being late for my morning meeting with work, and not able to lay out any meat for dinner. It was going on 10:30 am, I did not have time to run to the grocery store and I was on the verge of a panic attack. The exam schedules and final reports for school already had us eating out more than we were wanting to and I had to do something.
I started looking around the kitchen, took stock of all the things I did have and coming up with ideas. Well, that is how this recipe would find its creation. I knew I could prepare my slow cooker BBQ chicken recipe, but I also knew that we would have to come up with something to go with it. Well, our family, like most, love pizza and subs run a close second. Combining this knowledge, I would begin to formulate an idea, and within 10 minutes, the chicken was preparing and I would only need an extra 20 minutes to finish it up once it had finished cooking in the slow cooker.
Literally, I was saved by a unique idea that even handled the situation with frozen meat! How much better can it get? Well, the answer would soon come. It was flavorful, easy and simple. I did not have to run out to the grocery store and I had come up with a wonderful idea for a dinenr everyone ended up enjoying.
The kitchen is the one place that creative ideas can help discover new wonderful dishes, and this recipe is just the thing to fit that bill!
Whoops.. New oven
Let Others Know What you Think
Some Important Points
- If you have thawed chicken and are wanting to do this recipe, that is fine. Just cut down to low temperature and then reduce the cook time to 3-4 hours.
- All slow cookers are different, and your may require more or less time than my own. My faithful slow cookers (I have three) are all about three years old, and I do not have the ability to choose a temperature or set a time. These slow cookers have three options other than off: Keep Warm, Low, and High.
- This recipe does work without the slow cooker, you will just need to cook it on top of the stove for about an hour.
- I am sure it is possible just to use your favorite BBQ Sauce, but I like to alter the flavor and give it a little of my personality, so I did add a little to it. If you don't want to do this, sure it should still turn out fine
You Keep saying fast....
What all do I need?
- 2 lb. chicken breast tenderloins, frozen
- 2 c. BBQ Sauce, (I used Cattleman's)
- 1/3 c. Zesty Italian Salad Dressing
- 1/4 c. Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Worchestire Sauce
- 1 loaf French bread, about 2 foot each
- 1 c. red onion, diced or chopped
- 6 slices turkey bacon, crumbled or cut into chunks
- 2 c. Colby Jack Cheese, Shredded
- Finely diced parsley, cilantro and chives, fresh
You keep saying easy....
- Toss the frozen chicken tenderloins into a slow cooker.
- In a bowl mix together bbq sauce, Worchestire sauce, salad dressing and brown sugar until well blended.
- Pour over the chicken, cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours *Please note, every slow cooker is different, your time may vary*
- Before removing the chicken, dice up the onions and any other ingredients you might like to include and also mix in the cilantro, parsley, chives, and turkey bacon.
- Take the french bread and cut in half, almost like you are going to make a large sub, then once the top and bottom are separated, cut into equal quarters.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of slow cooker, and using two forks, shred it. (If you prefer, can just cut it up, but if it has been in the slow cooker all day, it is going to fall to pieces, so shredding is definitely better)
- Spread the chicken over the french bread (for extra flavor, be sure to spoon some of the bbq sauce out of the slow cooker and spread over top)
- Cover with the onions, parsley, cilantro, chives, and bacon (as well as any other additions you might have added) before topping with generous amounts of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and slightly browning.
- Serve, and if you like include a small side of heated bbq sauce for dipping
You can go smaller for finger foods or an appetizer
When you are in the kitchen, always try to have fun. In truth, if you want, could probably alter this recipes and turn it into one which works for a sub as well. Either way, you can always play around and discover the various ingredients which will make this you own and even ways to imporve it for your own family's tastes.
Also, I know that besides Colby Jack, there are several other cheeses that work great with this recipe, and this is one of the things that does depend on individual tastes. My husband likes it with provolone and mozarella as well!
If you have any new ideas or comments, please, do not hesitate to share!
More by this Author
Since our family does not eat pork, this is an excellent substitute to enjoy for a BBQ sandwich, can even add some coleslaw or any of your favorite additions to make it your favorite!
I absolutely love chicken and dumplings. Unfortunately, I normally don't have the time to stand over an oven all day. At least with a crock pot, I can enjoy one of my favorite meals!
Finding an amazing lamb ribs recipe was difficult, but am absolutely in love with this one! It is amazing! Probably would work with other rib recipes, but since we have lamb, this is my choice!
Tell Others What You Think
No comments yet.