Smoked Honey Pepper Venison Jerky in an Electric Smoker
One of the most common ways to make jerky at home is with a dehydrator, But, you can just as easily make a smoked jerky with an electric smoker with ready-to-eat jerky in about four to six hours after putting the meat in the smoker.
When making jerky, you can use beef, bison, elk, pork, turkey and venison. Beef may be the more common type of jerky, but venison jerky is a great way to mix up how you cook deer.
Venison is lean and high in protein. Plus, venison is typically going to be an organic meat, which means it doesn't have any chemicals and additives in the meat. When cooking venison, you're really consuming a better meat.
- 2 pounds venison
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- Along the grain of the venison, slice at at a 45-60 degree angle in 1/8" to 1/4" thick strips.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Marinate the venison in the marinade overnight in the refrigerator.
- Remove the strips from the marinade. Pat dry.
- Preheat your smoker, according to manufacturer directions. (The Charbroil Digital Smoker has a 45 minute preheat period.) Once your smoker is preheated, set the temperature to 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Smoke the venison for about 4 to 6 hours, or until the meat is firm.
Super easy smoker for beginners and advanced smokers who want to try something a little different with outdoor cooking. This is one of my favorite smokers. It's easy to set up and use, and you can smoke just about anything from ribs to macaroni and cheese to jerky.
- What part of the deer should I use for jerky?
You can cut just about any part of the deer for jerky, but the the front shoulders and back straps are great so that you don't lose any roasts or steaks.
- Can I overlap the meat when smoking?
You don't want to completely overlap the meat, but the pieces can touch.
- How to tell if the jerky is done?
Take a piece and lightly shake it between your fingers. If it's floppy or limp, it needs to cook longer.
- How to store jerky?
Store leftover jerky in a sealable bag.
- How long will the jerky last?
If you've made too much, you can freeze the jerky. It should keep for about three months in the freezer.
- What wood can I use to smoke venison?
You can use just about any wood, but for the best flavor to complement the meat, try hickory, mesquite, pecan or whiskey.
More by this Author
There are many reasons why you should have a more vegetarian diet, to include reducing animal cruelty, helping the environment, decreasing world hunger, protecting worker's rights, and bettering your health. Animals...
French toast may also be referred to as griddle bread or lost bred, but it's always going to be just plain old french toast. Some kids love it, some eat it, and some just plain refuse it. I'm not a big fan of my...
Learn some of the signs of infected belly-button piercings and what to do about them.
No comments yet.